modify/update Minimax supreme xmos driver

If you have a simple question and just want an answer.
mon2
XCore Legend

Post by mon2 »

Is the manufacturer of your audio product still in business ? Can you ask them if this hardware can support these features ? The circuit board design is tied in with their specific hardware that you have inside the box. They should be able to offer a software upgrade if this is possible to support with the shipped hardware. Post your updates here with their feedback.

nothing10

Post by nothing10 »

Eastern Electric who made the Minimax DAC Supreme are no longer in business but the USB DAC input was supplied by M2Tech whoe supplied Eastern Electric with an OEM driver, i have been in touch with M2Tech that told me that my hardware couldn't do DSD(it does it's just DoP up to DSD128) and offered to sell new USB board that would do DSD?? I emailed him back explaining the following "My DAC actually does do direct DSD bit streaming @ DSD256 through a Linux Audiophile OS using Linux driver(for the M2Tech YoungIII DAC)" I am still waiting for reply i mentioned it would be great PR to release upgraded drivers for their hardware (although probably not the best business model). The link to the article i posted a few post back explains the changes needed to be made to the driver(even give the codes) to enable this upgrade. Knowing that my hardware does do direct DSD256 through Linux drivers is what i am asking for impossible? would or could the settings for the max DAC output be in the windows registry? maybe those could be edited to allow what Linux can provide, is it impossible to edit the original driver i have to have the upgrade features? If you or someone else tells me it is impossible then i will put this to bed, but i don't think it is. i believe it could be done using the files from the updated but incompatible driver, and be recompiled to include my DAC's the hardware id as it is in the original driver, as i said just tell me it is impossible and that will be it. Thanks
mon2
XCore Legend

Post by mon2 »

1) what are the hardware IDs for your audio device? Attach the usb cable to your windows box and review the device manager -> locate this audio device -> note the hardware IDs.

Post the vendor and pid details.

2) have you been inside the audio box? Can you post pictures of the m2 usb audio dac circuit board you are referencing?
nothing10

Post by nothing10 »

i have not been inside the dac i believe it uses a M2Tech Young USB board here is the info

Device USB\VID_20B1&PID_3021\5&212ac8fc&0&3 was configured.
Driver Name: usb.inf
Class Guid: {36fc9e60-c465-11cf-8056-444553540000}
Driver Date: 06/21/2006
Driver Version: 10.0.19041.488
Driver Provider: Microsoft
Driver Section: Composite.Dev.NT
Driver Rank: 0xFF2003
Matching Device Id: USB\COMPOSITE
Outranked Drivers:
Device Updated: false
Parent Device: USB\ROOT_HUB30\4&1ce4e8bd&0&0
mon2
XCore Legend

Post by mon2 »

Ok. Not an audio developer and have very little details on your task but:

1) the shared IDs for your hardware the same as the "XMOS USB Audio" hardware.
USB\VID_20B1&PID_3021\5&212ac8fc&0&3

2) Go here and download and install the following evaluation driver package from XMOS:

https://www.xmos.ai/login?destination=/ ... .13.0).zip

(if you do not have access to the above downlink - post back and will host it on some cloud service - will check this thread in about 30mins or so from now)

(update - here it is on a cloud account)

https://we.tl/t-kle5C4bIMO

Does this driver package allow for your DSD256 to operate correctly on Windows ?

Before you can use the above evaluation driver, you may have to dock your USB audio device -> allow for the current driver package to install -> then enter Device Manager -> locate the USB label for your audio device -> right mouse click and select to DELETE the USB device AND check the box to delete the driver off your computer. Then unplug and plug back the USB cable to your PC. The USB enumeration will start again -> if you see a driver mapped to your hardware then proceed to repeat the above steps to strip off any mapping driver. Once the USB device remains with a "?" bang then proceed to install the fresh copy of the evaluation driver and install it. We want to force the above driver to map to your hardware.

From my knowledge, the IDs for your hardware match the XMOS hardware so the above driver should map but will give some beeps while operating. Just curious if this works for you with the DSD256 format. Given that Linux can support your hardware in DSD256 mode then this implies that your hardware is capable of this audio format.
nothing10

Post by nothing10 »

i got the driver to install and it was visible and selectable within jriver but it has exactly the same restrictions as before, i hope this has helped figure out whats next if anything. Thank you for the help much appreciated