XMOS Chip Stuck on old Firmware (SMSL M500 USB DAC)

Technical questions regarding the XTC tools and programming with XMOS.
neukrisz

Post by neukrisz »

---
Last edited by neukrisz on Wed Jan 20, 2021 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

overherz

Post by overherz »

I got the cables and I repaired the potentiometer
with long cables, it is much easier to assemble
the connector was unsoldered, I re-soldered all 5 contacts, and for some reason the inscription "connectors" is on the wrong side as it turned out
neukrisz

Post by neukrisz »

---doubled...
Last edited by neukrisz on Mon Jan 04, 2021 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mon2
XCore Legend

Post by mon2 »

and for some reason the inscription "connectors" is on the wrong side as it turned out
Are the REVERSE style of 5 conductor (1.0mm pitch) cables still suitable? 20 cm was long enough for the potentiometer?
overherz

Post by overherz »

mon2 wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 6:37 pm
and for some reason the inscription "connectors" is on the wrong side as it turned out
Are the REVERSE style of 5 conductor (1.0mm pitch) cables still suitable? 20 cm was long enough for the potentiometer?
yes,
less than 20 cm should not be taken, almost end-to-end, but I did not have any difficulties
mon2
XCore Legend

Post by mon2 »

Thanks. Wrote some code with LIBUSB this weekend. Have some communication working now with USB devices and a host PC. Not an easy process with the scattered and stale information on the internet.

Hope to conduct some tests with the USB bus analyzer this week and our SMSL box.

Would you know where here is a download for the older 1.05 (?) firmware?

Plan to first dump our corrupted firmware which should match your (before fix) dump. Then perform USB packet testing with the DFU.

It is funny that we both selected the same flex ribbon cable supplier on Aliexpress :) Just did not like the idea of almost $7 USD for each cable style - seems very high for a light shipment. We will be paying more for shipping than the cables to us in Canada.
mon2
XCore Legend

Post by mon2 »

Hi neukrisz. First of all, I am not an audio developer.

Respectively, not fully aware of the MQA specification but your post on the need for USB to I2S is very possible using XMOS devices. That is a popular target project and you may be able to purchase an assembled PCBA from Aliexpress for less than you could build the same.

However, the use of the M500 from SMSL is most likely NOT possible to deploy for this project as the firmware is encrypted. That is, the CPU contains OTP (one time programmable) section of hardware that has been used to embed an encrypted bootloader. This means that any firmware you wish to be execute on this SMSL box must be generated and encrypted using the same secret keys as used by the SMSL factory.

Respectively, the external flash onboard this M500 box (Winbond 25x40) contains encrypted firmware.

Hope this helps to at least clarify the complexity of the case.
neukrisz

Post by neukrisz »

---
Last edited by neukrisz on Wed Jan 20, 2021 10:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
jdoe

Post by jdoe »

neukrisz wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 12:30 am Hello Guys,

I'd like to use an M500 unit to USB -> i2S converter only (so without the DAC board if possible)
The reason why: I need MQA support for my external R2R DAC with i2S (over HDMI) input.
Is there anybody who has knowledge how to connect the M500 Digital board with something like these:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32879384750.html
https://www.audiophonics.fr/en/diy-inte ... 10754.html

Many thanks in advance!
I would recommend to consider following option: https://www.silabs.com/development-tool ... opment-kit
Or cheaper and probably easier to use: https://www.ebay.com/itm/132368672067
neukrisz

Post by neukrisz »

---
Last edited by neukrisz on Wed Jan 20, 2021 10:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.