Multi Channel Audio Mixer daughter board project

All technical discussions and projects around startKIT
glenn

Post by glenn »

Hi Johned and Mhelin,
Thanks for all of your inputs. Yes the TQFP64 is a little bit of pain for hand soldering. But I think I can do it. But again, the xCORE-200 multichannel board uses XE216-512-TQ128-C20 which is TQFP128 that is even more difficult to solder.
Can the XU208-256-TQ64 do the job? 8 channels in/outs plus EQ, volume and compressor on each channels?

johned
XCore Addict

Post by johned »

Hi Glenn,
I think you would struggle to add all of this and USB on an 8 core device.
Best regards,
John
glenn

Post by glenn »

Is there a 16core device with 64 pin package? I can't find one, if that so then I will just use the 128pin. Wish me luck on manual soldering. haha!
johned
XCore Addict

Post by johned »

TQ128 is the smallest package Glenn

John
Rics
New User

Post by Rics »

XE216-512-TQ128-C20, insane amount of flux and drag soldering. You'll be fine. Or at least i would do like that.
glenn

Post by glenn »

Thanks John. I will be doing the schematic design maybe next month.
JayShoe

Post by JayShoe »

Hello Glenn,

I'm working through a project to build a digital mixer. The purpose of this mixer is to eliminate all volume knobs and sliders and control everything from a PC using HID or MIDI. The mixer features would include microphone inputs with preamps, line level inputs, balanced outputs, and single ended outputs. Also, I would like to echo/reverb effects. Ultimately I would like to have 8 inputs and 8 outputs, but only 4 inputs and 2 outputs would suffice for the purposes of the project. I have some commercial needs but mostly I want to use this for myself. If I found something that would do the trick I wouldn't be designing it myself.

I stumbled upon XMOS and it seems to be a great solution. But I'm also looking at PiDSP, FreeDSP, some AudioWeaver hardware, some BeagleBone Black stuff, and the list goes on. I've seen it all. I'm currently very interested in XMOS. Anyhow, your mixer project is very interesting. Have you gotten anywhere with this?

My target hardware is one of two options.
Option 1 (High End):
1 PCM1864 = 8 inputs
2 PCM5242 = 4 outputs

Option 2 (good enough):
4 TLV320AIC3104 or 3106 codecs. = 8 x 8 (very flexible)

I have schematics drawn up for the daughter boards exposing I2S/I2C. What I really need to do is find a good firmware developer to start working with the EVM boards...

Jay