Channel/interface limitation between tiles or per function?

Technical discussions around xCORE processors (e.g. xcore-200 & xcore.ai).
infiniteimprobability
XCore Legend

Post by infiniteimprobability »

Just a note on the feedback you have given about the nature of your traffic - A few words every few milliseconds is extremely sparse. Given the switch can handle 250Mbps on each path (more on the same tile), this is down in the noise. Also, I was looking for cases of transferring large blocks, which could block paths. 450b is not particularly large and will not block for long (2us). So it is not the volume/nature of traffic causing an issue here.
I'm not trying to stream massive amounts of data. If I specify variables to be 8 bit would it actually transfer just 8 bits?
I don't think it does. You can transfer 8b chunks over channels using the xs1.h built ins outuchar and inuchar (which can also give you some nice buffering advantages - longer FIFO in channel) but means writing your own protocol and it simply isn't worth it for the (tiny) amount of data you are passing around.

Gothmag
XCore Addict

Post by Gothmag »

Yea I knew the amount of traffic I had was very little but figured I'd see what I could do in case it was somehow an issue. For now I've just changed the interface to have 1 call per button(no notifications) and swapped server/client sides around and of course that works. I just wanted to avoid the blocking call but realistically it probably doesn't matter. I'm not sure if my datalogging data is working across tiles either but I'll just see what I have to do to make it work. Seems like this is a pretty edge case or I'm just not good enough at programming to make this work on a 2 tile device. Thanks for the help.