Did you know you can now digg and socially share projects?

All the latest news and announcements from XCore and XMOS.
jason
XCore Expert

Did you know you can now digg and socially share projects?

Post by jason »

If you are addicted to social networks such as Digg, Facebook, or Twitter (I have seen a number of you about on these already!), you can now share projects instantly on these networks in one simple click!

Let your friends know what you have created and get them to provide feedback or rate your projects. These fancy little buttons are available just below the project rating area in the right hand column of any project. Happy sharing!

otitov
XCore Addict

Post by otitov »

for "share-addicts" i would recommend to take a look at http://addthis.com/ service - one button, more that 200 serices
jason
XCore Expert

Post by jason »

The issue with this is that it requires you to embed javascript from a 3rd party site.

By doing this, if their server is slow, it will mean those pages will take forever to load, resulting in a poor user experience for you guys.
EDIT: Although having looked in to it - I have not looked at their site in a while - they now host their files on the Akamai CDN so this would be unlikely. However the point below still stands.

Also by embedding 3rd party javascript, it means should they get hacked or someone who works for them decides to be evil, this site would be vulnerable to XSS (Cross site scripting) attacks eg you could inject a nice piece of javascript to capture what you write into the username and password box for example.

Do we really need 255 different networks to share on or would say 10 of the most used ones be sufficient (eg Facebook, LinkedIn, Digg, Twitter, Delicious, stumbleupon,reddit, etc) - in which case it wont take long to add a few more ourselves and need not worry about any of the above?

What social networks/sharing sites do you use?

This reminds me of the paradox of choice - having too many choices can result in you not picking any of them, or makes your decision harder as to which to pick, or something along those lines. :-)

However, I agree, if we did have to use a 3rd party sharing widget, then that is probably the one to use as it has come a long way since I last looked at it and they are taking security a lot more seriously now.
otitov
XCore Addict

Post by otitov »

ha-ha-ha, i have only one choice - i share on twitter only!
jason
XCore Expert

Post by jason »

lol :-)