Digikey exclusive development boards

Technical discussions related to any XMOS development kit or reference design. Eg XK-1A, sliceKIT, etc.
Bianco
XCore Expert

Digikey exclusive development boards

Post by Bianco »

I see that some dev boards in the shop can be exclusively bought at Digikey.
There are several reasons that i can think of to do this, but that's none of my business.
I'm not that happy with it because shipping and handling costs at Digikey is fairly high.

For example:
My XC-1 was shipped from asia for 15$.
Estimated international shipping charges from Digikey: $27.00 - $32.00.

steven

Post by steven »

Hi Bianco,

I'm not sure of your country, but in most cases, digikey has a country-specific website with a matching TLD (in my case, digikey.be), where they sell in local currency and orders from a given amount onwards are delivered for free including customs taxes and duties. (of course you will have to pay the local VAT!)
steven

Post by steven »

Just saw that you are from the Netherlands, so continuing in Dutch for now...

Is digikey.nl geen optie voor jou? Ik heb al meerdere keren bij hun .be-filiaal besteld, steeds geleverd binnen de drie dagen per UPS. De devkit kost bij hun wel 75 euro ex. BTW, wat dus neerkomt op 90 euro inclusief. Tis dan misschien wel beter om te bestellen in dollars...
Bianco
XCore Expert

Post by Bianco »

steven wrote:Just saw that you are from the Netherlands, so continuing in Dutch for now...

Is digikey.nl geen optie voor jou? Ik heb al meerdere keren bij hun .be-filiaal besteld, steeds geleverd binnen de drie dagen per UPS. De devkit kost bij hun wel 75 euro ex. BTW, wat dus neerkomt op 90 euro inclusief. Tis dan misschien wel beter om te bestellen in dollars...
Hello Steven, you can just talk english here even though i speak Dutch (This is a public forum).
To be honest i have never ordered something from digikey but i have read from others from the Netherlands that shipping costs are very high. Even though they have a Dutch site and they seem to have an office in the Netherlands all parts are shipped from the USA.

P.S. You're that dude selling freeduino's on SK right? :p
steven

Post by steven »

Yes I am ;-)

I ordered several times through them, always quick shipping, and any order over 65 euros gets shipped for free, though you would HAVE to order through your local site for this to be valid. They do have some stuff that's only for sale on their .com-site, but then we're speaking pretty shady products.
It is true that all is shipped from their main warehouse in Texas, USA, but delivery time is usually 3-4 days, including week-ends, so the one time I ordered something on a friday night (their cut-off time is 1:00 AM GMT), I had it delivered monday morning at my house by a friendly UPS driver. It's a shame though you have to pay cash instead of wiring the amount due to their bank account, like with the other carriers (FedEx, DHL, TNT express, GLS, ...) It's a shame that they can't declare a lower customs value, unlike some clever chinese sellers ;-)
Folknology
XCore Legend

Post by Folknology »

If its anything like Digi-Key UK, where I had similar problems the solution was as follows :

1) Go to you local Digi-Key site (mine was http://www.digikey.co.uk/)
2) Click on the 'Online Ordering' (you may be notified about free shipping threshold here)
3) Use the add item box by entering a quantity and product code
4) This will show your costs including free shipping (assuming you buy enough £50 uk).
5) checkout..

You may also want to register prior to this.
Do not search for the product, it often takes you back to U.S. site, dollars and silly shipping costs..

They will ship it from the USA, be careful to put something sensible for the product use otherwise your shipment might end up being delayed until you provide a decent reason to overcome the ridiculous U.S. export restrictions (Gah!)..

Its actually quite simple once you know the way.

P.S. If you are queried about export usage over the telephone, use the force say something like "These are not the boards you are looking for" ;-)

P.P.S step (6) Enjoy your dev board and join the XEOS group ;-)

regards
Al
steven

Post by steven »

Folknology wrote:I
Do not search for the product, it often takes you back to U.S. site, dollars and silly shipping costs..
Do you by any chance have your cookies disabled? On my computer, even the US website often takes me back to the belgian one when searching for products...

the export question is one I've had, too. Just say they are for educational use and quote a random institution, and you'll be fine ;-)
Folknology
XCore Legend

Post by Folknology »

steven wrote:
Folknology wrote:I
Do you by any chance have your cookies disabled? On my computer, even the US website often takes me back to the belgian one when searching for products...
No cookies are enabled, I had a series of issues around this, maybe I had a U.S. basket or something that complicated the situation, subsequently my 5 step process emerged to avoid aggrevation ;-)

regards
Al
steven

Post by steven »

Quite often, a wipe of your cookies (I can feel a new lolcat coming... "I can haz cookiez?" :-D) will do to reset things back to normal. However, your workaround is equally efficient, and even more so when you have the paper catalogue at hand!
Folknology
XCore Legend

Post by Folknology »

Actually I had the part number from the linkers forum as the result of posting the issues there, it was just a copy and paste..