XU208 USB and 4bit ports

Technical discussions around xCORE processors (e.g. xcore-200 & xcore.ai).
Folknology
XCore Legend

XU208 USB and 4bit ports

Post by Folknology »

I noticed when working on a design for the new XU208 USB series chip that it exposes 4B,4C and 4D yet it has built in USB using 8A and B. Is there something different about the XU series that means any of these 4 bit ports can be used whilst using the USB (normally forbidden on the L series)?

regards
Al

Folknology
XCore Legend

Post by Folknology »

Update, I notice that:

https://www.xmos.com/support/silicon?pr ... nent=18106

Seems to suggest that ports 4B,C and D are available when USB is in use on the XU series, can someone at XMOS please confirm this is the case?

regards
Al
mon2
XCore Legend

Post by mon2 »

Hello Al. Did not reply sooner as your post appeared to be requesting how the internals work on the new series but can confirm that the referenced ports are indeed available for your use even though USB function is enabled.

We have validated both tiles with USB enabled for each respective tile, then verified that the ports listed in this spreadsheet remain to be available for our use. Testing was performed on the XCORE-200 kit.

Starting with the USB examples for the XCORE-200 kit, we wrote simple code to write assorted bit patterns onto the ports listed as free and the port pins followed our coded logic.

The details and results have also been confirmed with our local (US) XMOS FAE.

This is nice to have otherwise too many port pins are lost for relatively simple interfaces.

Hope this helps.

Kumar
Folknology
XCore Legend

Post by Folknology »

Thanks Kumar that's excellent news as I can now use these ports whilst using USB, This is especially useful on the XU208 where pins are at a premium!.

regards
Al
Ross
XCore Expert

Post by Ross »

Yes they are available for use with xCORE-200.