XC-2 demo application won't run

Technical discussions related to any XMOS development kit or reference design. Eg XK-1A, sliceKIT, etc.
leon_heller
XCore Expert

Post by leon_heller »

I'm using WinXP x64. The strange thing is that xc2.local works with the original firmware in the flash; it ought to work with the application running from RAM.

I've just written the built version to flash. That won't work with xc2.local, but is OK with 169.254.42.23.

russf
XCore Addict

Post by russf »

leon_heller wrote: I've just written the built version to flash. That won't work with xc2.local, but is OK with 169.254.42.23.
What does xc2.local resolve to?

try

ping xc2.local

and note the IP address. Prolly different from the one you got working.

The intial and later runs disagreed on the IP address for the XC-2.

If you can flush the local dns cache (sorry - no clue on windoze) then it will probably start working again automagically.
leon_heller
XCore Expert

Post by leon_heller »

I used my other XC-2 (with the original flash) and found that xc2.local is 169.254.19.16. I tried xc2.local in an IP address converter I found on-line, but it couldn't be resolved, which is rather strange. ping xc2.local gave me 169.254.19.16, as expected. It's different from the value for my other board with the rebuilt firmware, of course, which has caused all this faffing about.
russf
XCore Addict

Post by russf »

leon_heller wrote:I used my other XC-2 (with the original flash) and found that xc22..local is 169.254.19.16. I tried xc2.local in an IP address converter I found on-line, but it couldn't be resolved, which is rather strange. ping xc2.local gave me 169.254.19.16, as expected. It's different from the value for my other board with the rebuilt firmware, of course.
Each board is distinct - it has a different MAC address (burnt into the MAC controller, but overrideable, probably). So if you get one to respond as xc2.local, then the other won't until you have flushed the local DNS (don's ask me) or power cycled the PC.

That address will not resolve using anything online. The entry linking xc2.local with an IP address is a purely local thing, and transient.

Summary.

xc2.local is just an alias (and entry) for an IP address.

That alias is established on first use of the device, until you power cycle the machine(s) that are storing the entry.

You are asking for trouble if you switch boards and expect an alias to resolve to the new board.

Pesonally, I'd stick with the IP address, and if I was writing code, I'd force manual IP allocation, and be done with it.

Best,

--r.
leon_heller
XCore Expert

Post by leon_heller »

Thanks, Russ. I tried powering the PC down, but xc2.local still didn't work with the XC-2 with the rebuilt firmware; there must be something else going on.
leon_heller
XCore Expert

Post by leon_heller »

I tried Wireshark yesterday, but couldn't see the XC-2 traffic. I just tried it again and found I had been looking at the wrong device. I can see the XC-2 packets now, using the XC-2 with the original code in flash. I'll try my other XC-2 with the updated code. Wireshark does look like an excellent tool for for use with this stuff.
Andy
Respected Member

Post by Andy »

Leon,

Have you tried the advice from the Quick Start guide?

https://www.xmos.com/download/public/XM-000204-UG-1.pdf
X2LEDB LED lights up but browser cannot load http://xc2.local
- Try installing Bonjour for Windows, available from: http://apple.com/downloads.
- Disable any firewall you may have running.
- Configure your PC and XC-2 to use a static IP address. See section 2.2.
leon_heller
XCore Expert

Post by leon_heller »

I remember seeing that, now; I'd forgotten about it.

I tried Bonjour, but it just tries to find a printer which I haven't got on this laptop. It didn't solve the problem. Corin didn't think that there was any round it, and that seemed to be confirmed by some posts on the Microsoft forum - HP suggested to one user with a similar problem that he reformatted his HD! I'll try a static IP address.
russf
XCore Addict

Post by russf »

Hey Leon,

Sorry to see you are still struggling.

Can I ask why you still want to use xc2.local to address the board, rather than the IP address? I understand there is a convenience factor, but local dns is a magical thing, and you strike me as a down-to-earth guy.

I'd go with the IP address, and start having fun.

--r.
leon_heller
XCore Expert

Post by leon_heller »

I just wanted to get my second board with the recompiled code working the same as the first, unaltered one, with xc2.local. I'll give that up as it doesn't look as though it is feasible.

I've tried assigning static address 192.168.0.101 to my PC but I can't get it to work. I think I need to do some more reading.

With a little help from Russ I got it working with the static IP address.