Minimal XMOS breakout/prototype board

Technical discussions related to any XMOS development kit or reference design. Eg XK-1A, sliceKIT, etc.
Folknology
XCore Legend

Post by Folknology »

Is it possible to have a base board supplying power to several XMOS processors? Or would this introduce problems?
If you do this you probably want to include at least the 1V switch reg on each board and then provide a juicy 3.3v supply given that you don't know how many will be stacked!!
Which do you guys prefer:

1) A slightly larger base board with flash,programming, power,programming ,etc that acts as a master to smaller bare-minimum modules, deriving power from the master. Could possibly put an FTDI on the master so xtag isn't required.

2) Similar to the XK-1, everything can be it's own master. Everything has flash, programming, etc.
(1) Is a nice cost/complexity saving idea but means they can't be used individually which severely limits your audience, thus a more XK1 like approach makes more sense.

Obviously a master board can still provide XTAG (via 2232d?), usb connector, 5v to 3.3v regulation and alternate 5v power input connector.

the signals you want to pass from board to board are :
1) Xtag signals for debugging (and resets from power sequencing/monitoring)
2) 3.3v + GND
3) Channels 1 in 1 out using 4 wire mode

With (3) you hit topological issues (I have with similar designs), because you have input connectors and output connectors which must mate from top to bottom. This is OK for the XK1 because it use edge connectors for in and out. Obviously when boards are stacking (rather than side by side) you have to use some sort of surface mount top and bottom pin and socket headers. with signals (1) and (2) this isn't an issue because these use pass through and can hence use standard through hole headers with longer leads.

I would be interested to hear your thoughts on how to deal with some of those connectivity issues.

regards
Al

rp181
Respected Member

Post by rp181 »

1) Xtag signals for debugging (and resets from power sequencing/monitoring)
2) 3.3v + GND
3) Channels 1 in 1 out using 4 wire mode
I get 1 and 2, but what are you talking about 3? I need to look through the XK-1 schemas some more, see what I am missing.

I actually wasn't planning on using connectors for the daisy chaining. Did you see the vectornav board i linked to earlier? Each side has semi circles. You could then solder headers for the connection both up and down. Obviously a soldered connection is good, but the problem then is re-usability. Semi circles should make it simple to desolder.

I may end up trying out connectors from here: http://www.jst.com/home2.html some of which are for perpendicular mounting and parallel mounting.

EDIT: Are the XTag signal through the XMOS links? Or do all of the JTAG pins need to be connected?
Folknology
XCore Legend

Post by Folknology »

EDIT: Are the XTag signal through the XMOS links? Or do all of the JTAG pins need to be connected?
No the Jtag/debug pins TDO,TDI,TMS,TCK,TRST_N,RST_N and DEBUG are separate pins from the links.
Xtag also carries a channel connection which isn't used for debugging (AFAIK) but if you are using multiple L1s you need to connect at least 1 channel between them which leads to daisy chaining, otherwise the cores cannot communicate.

The XTAG 2 20 pin header for example contains jtag/debug and a single channel connection. The XK1 has an input 20pin header (plug) and an output 20 pin header (socket) to take advantage of multiple XK1s being daisy chained.

*Update
Oops I forgot, TDO isn't passed through you have to add a 1 bit mux between input and output, this can be triggered by the pin state on the upstream (next) xtag device. Take a look at the XK1 schematics for a concrete example.

Also you may need to ad buffering either on each board or the master board for the jtag signals, depends how much the 2232d drives them (fan out) of course and how many boards can be stacked!

I'm using the term channel here when I should be using the term Xmos Link, i.e. the physical connection over which channels can be established between cores..
Last edited by Folknology on Fri Sep 24, 2010 11:37 am, edited 3 times in total.
rp181
Respected Member

Post by rp181 »

Ok, thanks! I'le look through the schemas and come up with my own schema/design.
skoe
Experienced Member

Post by skoe »

btw: This would also be a nice parcel for others ;)
XMatt
XCore Addict

Post by XMatt »

Folknology wrote:
Xtag also carries a channel connection which isn't used for debugging (AFAIN)
The XTAG-2 XLink interface is intended to be used as a trace port. This cabability is currently under development in the tools and will be supported in the near future. It will be the board designers decision as to whether they want to connect an XLink to the XTAG-2 header to allow this functionality.
rp181
Respected Member

Post by rp181 »

Would be a great parcel if I got it to work :)

I started a project, I will keep updates there.