XC-2 OSX Issues

Technical discussions related to any XMOS development kit or reference design. Eg XK-1A, sliceKIT, etc.
Folknology
XCore Legend

XC-2 OSX Issues

Post by Folknology »

Well my XC-2 arrived yesterday from Digi-Key and today I finally got some time to unbox and play.

I spent a good few hours trying to get it operating on my Macbook running OSX (leopard) without success. what may have hampered it was the fact I already had FTDI drivers installed for my Seeduino/Arduino tinkering some time ago. I found a couple of references, one in the FAQ and another on the Linkers forum regarding issues around existing FTDI drivers. In particular they advised the removal (uninstall) of the virtual comm drivers. I followed the FTDI instructions with little success as not evry file was found as expected in their documents.

I also tried reinstalling the drivers etc.. but with little success 'xrun --listdevices' still returned "no devices". I could see 2 JTAG entries in the network preferences port area however but nothing xrun.

Prior to this I followed the quick start and the network test worked perfectly so I new the board was good. Eventually I lost patience and installed it on my PC running Windows XP and it worked perfectly, thus it is definitely an OSX issue, the board is AOK.

Has anyone else got the XC-2 running on OSX, can you pass on any experiences, or offer any advice?

I then had an afternoon playing with the board (yeehaw!) and going through the XC-2 tutorials until I ran out of blinky light and button pressing ideas, its nice to actually use XC on this board, its making much more sense now. :D

P.S The G4 runs really rather hot, I haven't measured the temp yet but its hot to touch. I notice this mentoioned on some of the Linker threads so don't think its an issue, just a little suprised by it :o

regards
Al
XC-2
Last edited by Folknology on Tue Dec 15, 2009 11:26 pm, edited 3 times in total.

jason
XCore Expert

Post by jason »

hehe, glad to see you are having fun with the XC-2! I am afraid I do not own/use a Mac so I can not help you there, although I am sure others on here do.

Indeed, the heat on the G4 is normal, and nothing to worry about there.

Let us know how you get on!
otitov
XCore Addict

Post by otitov »

power off XC-2.

disconnect Ethernet cable from XC-2.

power on XC-2, wait 30 sec (it also should run warm now).

try to communicate to it from OSX.

comment here about results.
Folknology
XCore Legend

Post by Folknology »

Sorry otitov, no difference it still reports no devices :

Code: Select all

bash-3.2$ xrun --listdevices

Available XMOS Devices
----------------------

No Available Devices Found
otitov
XCore Addict

Post by otitov »

thanks for publishing results, sorry it has not worked out.
madaerodog

Post by madaerodog »

I have an XC-1A and have the same problem, I have installed XMOS 9.9.2 on Mac OSX 10.6.2, connected my board as instructed in debug mode and typed this in terminal

Code: Select all

home-312743:~ madaerodog$ /Applications/XMOS_9.9.2/SetEnv.command ; exit;
bash-3.2$ xrun --listdevices

Available XMOS Devices
----------------------

No Available Devices Found

bash-3.2$
if you have any ideas how we can make osx see our devices please help us ...
sjalloq

Post by sjalloq »

I'm having issues with the XTAG2 under OS X.

Use Finder to go to folder /Developer. Then under Applications open USB Prober. This will list all your USB devices that have enumerated correctly. You should see your device appear and disappear as you plug/unplug. It will also show any useful errors about illegal fields in the descriptors etc.

Shareef.
___
Member++

Post by ___ »

shawn
XCore Addict

Post by shawn »

Why do I think unix is out to get me?
let=###{>}{{<><>}{><{>}<{><><<}{<>