Getting started with XC-1A

Technical discussions related to any XMOS development kit or reference design. Eg XK-1A, sliceKIT, etc.
psice

Getting started with XC-1A

Post by psice »

I've recently took the plunge into the world of xmos and I'm excited by the possibilities. I purchased the XC-1A development kit from Digikey USA. I've downloaded the XDE package and started with the LED tutorial. So far so good, however after building that project, I'm unable to get it to deploy to the board. A console message "xrun: No available devices" pops up and the device does not appear to run the new program.

I'm running XDE Version 9.9.2 (build 1524) on an Intel Mac running 10.5.8. In one of the development tutorial documents I read that I needed to put the board into debug mode. I tried that (holding down button A while connecting the device) and it made no difference. I believe those instructions were actually for the XC-1 board. When I go to my network preferences I can see two new devices XC-1A and XC-1A 1V0. I've not done anything with those configurations and I can't find anything in the documentation that says what to do with them. The only thing I could find for Mac was that the drivers are already included.

Any suggestions on how to get past this first hurdle would be greatly appreciated.

BTW, I've tried this on two different machine with the same result.

Thanks,
Peter

XMatt
XCore Addict

Post by XMatt »

Check this topic out for issues with FTDI and OSX, if it does not solve the problem you are having then please post again.

http://xcore.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=307&start=0
psice

Post by psice »

XMatt-

Thanks for the link. I wasn't having much luck, so I found a suitable windows machine and things seem to be going along fine now.

Regards,
Peter
shawn
XCore Addict

Post by shawn »

Hello Pslice,
Welcome to our shaggy horde.
There's is a lot of ambition to build and IDE that runs on Xmos.
This would eliminate necessity of using linux, OSX, XP, altogether.
There's is still a bit of work on that but it already happening.
Good fortune with your XC-1A Kit, its a good one.
Shawn
psice

Post by psice »

Shawn-

Thanks for the welcome. Although you may not want me as part of your shaggy hoard if you think I've got lice. Although last I checked I was lice free. The screen name is actually psice. I'm part of an ice and climate exploration group doing research at Penn State University.

It's good to be part of the horde and I'll do my best to collecting and sharing knowledge, not LICE.

Regards,
Peter
shawn
XCore Addict

Post by shawn »

Peter;
It meant Pizza Slice. then again I may have just typo'ed
please forgive me, lice, that's funny :lol: , perhaps LICE
should become a new nomenclature for infamous TYPO
bugs; ) Penn State sure has a grand CS history. One of
Mauchly's 1st application's for the his ENIAC was climate
forecast. Good luck with the ice and climate research.
They done a good job butchering BSD on the Apple so,
a lot of developers steer clear. Nothing against Apple it
just the way it is. there platform is well proven so they
do attract much venture. I am still using NeXTstep.
I'm sure the horde will always like pizza :P ,
Shawn