Any alternates for SMSC USB3318?

Technical discussions related to any XMOS development kit or reference design. Eg XK-1A, sliceKIT, etc.
GeorgeIoak

Post by GeorgeIoak »

Would someone with the full spec of the USB3318 please tell me what the current consumption is of the part. I'm going to be putting down a switcher to squeeze all the power out of the USB bus that I can and I need to know how much current the 1.8V rail will need.

Thanks again,
George

BEBDigitalAudio
Experienced Member

Post by BEBDigitalAudio »

Hi all,

if you do not need a Hi-Speed USB (so just 1.1), you can also switch to the SL811HS.

I made a quick demo board with it two weeks ago (using the XMOS SRAM component), and I was able to connect rather quckly to a mouse (using the Host mode of the SL811HS)

The "bad" thing is that you have to write all low level code, because there is no XMOS support for it, and nothing available on the web (even for other processors)....

Benoît
GeorgeIoak

Post by GeorgeIoak »

and I've also successfully used the newest SMSC part, USB3340
bearcat
Respected Member

Post by bearcat »

GeorgeIoak wrote:and I've also successfully used the newest SMSC part, USB3340
So you used this part with the standard XMOS XUD library and works?

Would be nice to get rid of the 1.8V regulator.
GeorgeIoak

Post by GeorgeIoak »

Yes, just dropped it in with the appropriate circuit changes and package change and it works. The USB3320 will also work but that still requires the 1.8V regulator. Production pricing on all 3 parts are extremely close so it was a "no brainer" to design in the USB3340 other than risk running into some troubles.
Light
Member++

Post by Light »

GeorgeIoak wrote:Yes, just dropped it in with the appropriate circuit changes and package change and it works. The USB3320 will also work but that still requires the 1.8V regulator. Production pricing on all 3 parts are extremely close so it was a "no brainer" to design in the USB3340 other than risk running into some troubles.
hi, just want to ask "did your firmware hanging problem got resolved?" I saw you posted quite a lot message in other thread but seems remain un-solved.
GeorgeIoak

Post by GeorgeIoak »

To be honest this design has thrown me the most curve balls out of any of the other designs I have done. We never could get the first prototypes to work and so we did a board spin to clean up some potential design problems and the 2nd prototype worked. I almost have a feeling that the first boards must have had a PCB problem but I guess I'll never know.

After the 2nd prototype we did another board spin with some changes one of which included going to the USB3340. With my wonderful luck the 1st board built also did not work. I tried everything to get it to work and couldn't. When I built up the 2nd board it worked right away. PCBs were purchased from 2 different sources so I can only say that somebody must not have liked me!