Alternatives to Atmel Flash AT25FS010?

Technical discussions around xCORE processors (e.g. xcore-200 & xcore.ai).
sjalloq

Alternatives to Atmel Flash AT25FS010?

Post by sjalloq »

Hey there,

The XMOS recommended SPI flash that they use seems to be hard to get hold of. Digi-Key are the only ones who I've found stock it and they don't recommend it for new designs. What are the alternatives? Will any Atmel SPI flash part work or do I have to buy a particular family?

Cheers.

leon_heller
XCore Expert

Post by leon_heller »

It's still a current device according to the Atmel web site. Mouser and Nu Horizons have stock, as well as Digi-Key. Mouser also says it's obsolete, interestingly.
sjalloq

Post by sjalloq »

Yeah, I've bought a few from Digi-Key to get me going but it's a non-stock device that they recommend not to be used for new designs.
leon_heller
XCore Expert

Post by leon_heller »

I'd be inclined to believe the manufacturer and official distributor. The Atmel web site is wrong about Nu Horizons having stock, though; they don't have any. They quote 16 weeks delivery, which means that they don't know when they will get some. Atmel is having serious production problems across the board.
segher
XCore Expert

Post by segher »

SPI flash is an industry standard, every chip uses the same basic protocol.

Pick a chip you like, and then check the pinout, the voltages, the power consumption,
and make sure the command 03 is "read data" (or "slow read") (this is the only command
the xmos devices use to boot from the flash).

Pretty much the same procedure as you would use for finding an alternative part for
anything -- read the datasheets :-)

Segher
bearcat
Respected Member

Post by bearcat »

Try the AT25DF041A. I believe this is the newer part and is rated down to 2.3V. Mouser has stock. This part works fine for me. Both parts are a wide SOIC, so what out for that.
sjalloq

Post by sjalloq »

Thanks guys.

[Edit: just read the relevant chapter in the Tools User Guide and you can specify your own flash parameters for a device not known to the tools. Ch 9.5.]
GeorgeIoak

Post by GeorgeIoak »

I went to order the AT25FS010 from Avnet and was told that Atmel has EOL (end of life) this part and they recommended going to one of their DataFlash parts which is not compatible with a SPI EEPROM.

ST Micro has a M95M01-RMN6P but the cost is more than 2x the Atmel part as well as the MicroChip part.

Curiously, I just looked up the AT25DF041A which is a 4Mb part as opposed to the 1Mb in the reference design and it's price looks to be lower than the ST Micro but of course more expensive than the 1Mb part.

The suggested replacement part from Atmel is their AT45DB011D-SH-B which is about the same price as the EEPROM but of course a completely different interface and package.

We are just about to release a new PCB design and currently I have 3.9mm 8-pin SOIC footprint of the AT25FS010 used in the XMOS Audio reference design but now I'm a little nervous and wonder if I should change it?

Any recommendations out there?

Thanks,
George
segher
XCore Expert

Post by segher »

The cheapest part at Mouser is the SST25VF010A (EUR 0.50 for 1, EUR 0.39 for 500);
they have thousands on stock. It's a normal 8-pin SOIC and has all the standard
commands (I checked the datasheet, you should verify for yourself of course). 1Mbit.

They have AT25FS010 on stock as well, but it's EUR1.18 for 1, and "not recommended".
GeorgeIoak

Post by GeorgeIoak »

Perfect! Same low cost as the Atmel part and in stock as well. Don't know how I missed that one. I agree, at first glance it does look to be an exact replacement for the AT25FS010