XHRA-2HPA initial programming

Technical discussions around xCORE processors (e.g. xcore-200 & xcore.ai).
RayCtech

XHRA-2HPA initial programming

Post by RayCtech »

I have made a design that needs the xCORE-200 for full functionality, but have put the xCORE-200 / XHRA-2HPA on its own small plugin PCB together with clock and SPI flash.

This was done to be able to evaluate the overall design with the XHRA plugin board before finishing the plugin PCB and programming for the xCORE-200 as the IO to the plugin PCB have all needed functions.

How to do the initial programming of the XHRA-2HPA / SPI flash ?
Can it be done via USB or is a JTAG connector needed on the XHRA / SPI board ?

Is it only Digi-Key that sells the chips ?
I need some few samples to verify that my PCBs and design works as expected.

henk
Respected Member

Post by henk »

Hi,

You will need to program the QSPI flash (I believe it is QSPI, not SPI) separately; so you will need access to the pins of the QSPI flash.

Maybe it is easiest to program it in a separate programmer.

It is much easier to instead solder the XU208 part down; then you can program and debug the system over JTAG.

Cheers,
Henk
RayCtech

Post by RayCtech »

Henk - thank you for your reply.

The obvious way to program the XHRA-2HPA / QSPI flash are via USB as there are no documented JTAG pins on the XHRA-2HPA chip.

It is however documented that the XHRA-2HPA are "field upgradable" and this also indicates that USB is used.

My initial question was really If connecting a USB cable and perform the initial programming of the binary in the QSPI flash are the way to do it.
Or is there some un-documented JTAG pins on the XHRA-2HPA that can be used with a JTAG connector?
Or any other way like Henk have proposed?
henk
Respected Member

Post by henk »

Hi,

I see what you mean. Once the flash is programmed it is field upgradeable. But you will need the factory image in the flash before it is field upgradeable.

I don't think there are any undocumented JTAG pins over which you can program the part.

Cheers,
Henk
RayCtech

Post by RayCtech »

Then I will add one edge connector for programming the QSPI flash.

There is two alternative ways I easily can implement the programming:

A. Only power the QSPI flash when programming.
With the XHRA-2HPA soldered, but without any applied power will the XHRA-2HPA connections to the QSPI cause any issues?

B. Power both the QSPI flash and the XHRA-2HPA, but only 3.3 volt.
With the XHRA-2HPA held in reset during the programming, but without 1 volt, will the XHRA-2HPA connections to the QSPI cause any issues?
Ross
XCore Expert

Post by Ross »

FYI the DFU capability only allows for taking firmware images from XMOS (in case of a bug report). It doesn't currently allow for the update of your config data.
RayCtech

Post by RayCtech »

Ross wrote:FYI the DFU capability only allows for taking firmware images from XMOS (in case of a bug report). It doesn't currently allow for the update of your config data.
Thank you for confirming this as the documentation was not coherent with available tools or reference designs. Hopefully full DFU capability with initial programming and update of config data will be available in the future.