Wishing for a G-link to L-link bridge

Technical discussions around xCORE processors (e.g. xcore-200 & xcore.ai).
boeserbaer

Wishing for a G-link to L-link bridge

Post by boeserbaer »

I am wishing there were a way to use the G parts on my main-board, and the L parts on my other boards, and still use X-links.
I would also probably use a dedicated switch if it existed. As it is the L1-128 can serve that function.

Regards,
Mike

lilltroll
XCore Expert

Post by lilltroll »

Intresting question.

As I understood it the G and L Xlinks isn't compatible, but on the other hand on the X64 board a L1 chip is used as an XTAG2 to program the G chips over XLINK.

Can someone explain how the L series and G series can be mixed and what cannot be done, as well !?
Probably not the most confused programmer anymore on the XCORE forum.
Ross
XCore Expert

Post by Ross »

lilltroll wrote:
on the other hand on the X64 board a L1 chip is used as an XTAG2 to program the G chips over XLINK.
This is false. Its uses JTAG (essentially a XTAG2 on the board)
Woody
XCore Addict

Post by Woody »

lilltroll wrote:Can someone explain how the L series and G series can be mixed and what cannot be done, as well !?
I'm afraid that there are a number of important differences between the XS1-L links and the XS1-G links, which means that you can not reasonably bridge between the two types.

A critical difference is the start up procedure: reset tokens have slightly different meanings for the XS1-L and XS1-G links, and the 'hello' token is introduced in the XS1-L link. This difference makes them incompatible.

Other differences include the introduction of 'credit 32' token in the XS1-L link, and important routing changes which allow non hypercube configurations in the XS1-L.
Bianco
XCore Expert

Post by Bianco »

It is feasible to implement a bridge using an FPGA or CPLD or an XMOS chip for the matter.
In the latter case you can forget running the links on full speed though as you cannot use the xlink hardware but have to use the ports.