500 MHz L1!

Technical discussions around xCORE processors (e.g. xcore-200 & xcore.ai).
___
Member++

Post by ___ »

jonathan wrote:
___ wrote:
Folknology wrote:Actually is this considered an overclock?

Can it be used with existing L1s or is it a more refined L1 production?
Or the existing L1's are underclocked ;)
Lol, is that an answer?
Just a bit of fun, chill out! :lol:

The L1 device frequency can be configured in the .xn file for the specific development board, they can be made to run faster or slower as with any microprocessor, this applies to all L1 devices. The USB audio reference design also runs at 500Mhz.

Berni
Respected Member

Post by Berni »

Well on the chat i heard that xmos actually tested the chips way past 500Mhz but turned out they start to use a lot of power and heat up a lot. (The 4 core device at 400Mhz is already quite toasty to touch) I guess you could push them quite far with some cooling. Im not going to try since i don't want to blow my XC-2 just in case.
___
Member++

Post by ___ »

Berni wrote:Well on the chat i heard that xmos actually tested the chips way past 500Mhz but turned out they start to use a lot of power and heat up a lot. (The 4 core device at 400Mhz is already quite toasty to touch) I guess you could push them quite far with some cooling. Im not going to try since i don't want to blow my XC-2 just in case.
This thread only applies to L devices.
trousers

Post by trousers »

As with all overclocking activities you should be careful not to blow up yourself and your hamster. By tweaking the XN you can (try to) push the chip futher than it could reasonably be expected to go and A Bad Thing may happen; there are no sanity checks in the tools.
Best friends with the code fairy.
lilltroll
XCore Expert

Post by lilltroll »

First time I will try to overclock a soundcard :mrgreen:
Anyone who tried it with liquid nitrogen on XMOS ???
Probably not the most confused programmer anymore on the XCORE forum.
paul
XCore Addict

Post by paul »

Just to make the L1 chip situation clear - current L1 parts are not guaranteed to work at 500Mhz as they will have only been tested to 400MHz.

There will be an L1 with a separate part number that will have been fully tested and characterized at this clock speed for customers wishing to go into production with this part. So, what you do with your current L1's is at your own risk!
Paul

On two occasions I have been asked, 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
morecores
New User

Post by morecores »

Folknology wrote:When you follow their rules and then make something successful, they then go and make it themselves and shaft you, nice folks to do biz with, maker beware.. :cry:
Off topic, but...

I think it's quite interesting that we have a situation where Apple have complete control of all software in a majority of the smartphone market, and with the iPad could have complete control of a significant portion of the software in the general computer market too.

With the news today that they've removed "adult" apps from the AppStore (but not the Playboy app!), if Apple become more inflential in the market, you've got to wonder whether the competition and free speech authorities will start to wake up...
shawn
XCore Addict

Post by shawn »

Set the controls for the heart of the sun.
This is the first Ive heard of overclocking this core.
Nice to see no absolute limits, some may like run in the red.
I would check my sanety first, though. Doing so comes with
penalties, I'm sure. I didn't know 500mhz would go stardard,
If they engineer more speed, which is good, till said power to
performance fails, can only be good. I not so sure how it affects
board developers cost and design, cause of capacitance etc...
Watt/Comp Xmos is heads up on the comp w/its unabstrated core.
Woody
XCore Addict

Post by Woody »

Obviously overclocking the XCores past the speed they've been tested at is inherently unsafe. Some devices will only just work at their rated frequency over all valid temperatures and voltages and those devices will fail if overclocked.

For details of how to control the frequency look at these app notes: XS1-L http://www.xmos.com/system/files/xs1lfreqctrl.pdf and XS1-G http://www.xmos.com/system/files/xs1gfreqctrl.pdf

To work out what effect changing the frequency has on the XS1-L's power consumption look here http://www.xmos.com/system/files/xs1-l-power.pdf

All these app notes (and other good stuff) available via
xmos.com -> support -> documentation
errordeveloper

Post by errordeveloper »

jonathan wrote:
___ wrote:
Folknology wrote:Actually is this considered an overclock?

Can it be used with existing L1s or is it a more refined L1 production?
Or the existing L1's are underclocked ;)
Lol, is that an answer?
are you not suppose to know a little bit better what that actually is about? may be a typo?