XLinks between different speed cores?

Technical discussions around xCORE processors (e.g. xcore-200 & xcore.ai).
Redeye
XCore Addict

XLinks between different speed cores?

Post by Redeye »

I've got a 3xL16 board with all cores running at 500MHz at the moment. I'm looking at squeezing some cost out before production because it turns out that although I need that many devices (mostly for code space), I don't need all the threads (sorry, using the old terminology here because it makes much more sense to me).

I believe I can check whether I can use lower clock speed devices just by adjusting my .XN file to specify the processors as 400MHz rather than 500MHz (somebody please tell me if I'm wrong here).

My question is, do the Xlinks work between cores running at different clock speed? So if I need to run one core at 400MHz (to use a cheaper device) and another at 500MHz, are there going to be any Xlink problems? I'm pretty sure they work fine, but I can't find the part in the documentation that confirms it.

segher
XCore Expert

Post by segher »

Redeye wrote:using the old terminology here because it makes much more sense to me
Yes.
I believe I can check whether I can use lower clock speed devices just by adjusting my .XN file to specify the processors as 400MHz rather than 500MHz
Yes.
My question is, do the Xlinks work between cores running at different clock speed?
Yes.

:-)
Redeye
XCore Addict

Post by Redeye »

Thanks segher,

That's exactly the response I was hoping for (and glad to see it's not just me confused by the new terminology).