TQ48, 8 threads/cores. EOL?

Technical discussions around xCORE processors (e.g. xcore-200 & xcore.ai).
yzoer
XCore Addict

TQ48, 8 threads/cores. EOL?

Post by yzoer »

So I've been out and about for a bit but to my dismay I noticed that digikey no longer stocks the TQ48 with 8 threads / cores.

That sucks.

What's the deal? Are they being phased out and being replaced by the 'new' 6-8 cores that will cost me an extra 5 bucks? I based my design around that little critter and would hate to see it extinct...

-Yvo

Bianco
XCore Expert

Post by Bianco »

Yup, you will have to go with the XS1-L8A-64-TQ48
yzoer
XCore Addict

Post by yzoer »

Aaaand back to FPGA's we go...

Not to sound like a total douche but this is kinda why I can't seem to commit to XMOS. While I understand the business reasons behind it, other companies like microchip, atmel, altera and xilinx *still* sell and support legacy devices.

The latest rebranding effort didn't exactly help either, and while I love the architecture / hardware, phasing out chips early isn't going instill confidence for manufacturers to use your product for mass production. I'm just a little guy and while I can redesign my project around the 'new' version, what guarantee do I have it'll be around in 2 years?

Shame really... 7 bucks for a complete system on a chip that will now costs me $12.

I'll get off my soapbox.

-Yvo
Bianco
XCore Expert

Post by Bianco »

The new XS1-L8A-64-TQ48 device is exactly the same as the old XS1-L1 that you used in your project. So you don't need to redesign your project. It is only the name that has changed, and unfortunately they seem to be more expensive at digikey
pstnotpd
XCore Addict

Post by pstnotpd »

I tend to agree with @yzoer. While it may be an XL1-S1 in disguise it looks like something I've seen before

Please people. this has promise. Don't blow it AGAIN!
yzoer
XCore Addict

Post by yzoer »

Been a while since my last visit. Imagine my surprise to find Digikey now stocks XS1-L4A-64-TQ48-C4's for around $4/unit in single quantity.

Is this a new part or is this flushing old stock?

Cheers,

Yvo
Andy
Respected Member

Post by Andy »

yzoer wrote:Been a while since my last visit. Imagine my surprise to find Digikey now stocks XS1-L4A-64-TQ48-C4's for around $4/unit in single quantity.

Is this a new part or is this flushing old stock?

Cheers,

Yvo
Yes, this is the new 4 logical core device that was recently announced:

http://www.xmos.com/news/27-feb-2013/xm ... controller
mhelin

Post by mhelin »

Any ideas why Farnell is asking almost sometimes more than double the price of Digikey? Like the L4A costs 8.50€ at Farnell but only 3.48€ at Digikey.