Programming newly soldered XMOS pcb

Technical discussions around xCORE processors (e.g. xcore-200 & xcore.ai).
Chendy

Programming newly soldered XMOS pcb

Post by Chendy »

Say I just correctly soldered a XK-1A Development Kit Board or the released L1 40 pin DIP board (my actual goal), or any other simple breakout type board without concern for USB... what do I have to do to get the board ready to be programmed?

Assuming I had the USB XTAG-2 board from the XK-1A kit, is there any bootloader, or anything that has to be programmed to get the board ready to be programmed? Are there any guides?

Chendy

Bianco
XCore Expert

Post by Bianco »

Just connect the XTAG-2 to your new board and run a "xrun -l" to see if it recognizes your processor.
After that try to run a simple application, for example a hello world that prints to the console through JTAG.
This is just to confirm that things are working, there is nothing special that you have to do to get things working. Of course your options depend on e.g. how you have tied your boot mode pins and whether you have a SPI flash connected (to the default SPI ports) or not.
Chendy

Post by Chendy »

If I wanted to make the 40pin DIP Module Using XS1-L1-48 work, which does have SPI Flash, and I am not sure about the boot mode pins, what would I have to do?

Also, where do I learn/read about all of these issues?

Many thanks
Bianco
XCore Expert

Post by Bianco »

The DIP module will default boot in SPI mode unless MSEL is low during reset (MSEL should be connected to T_RST on the XTAG2). You only need to make a small adapter to connect the board to the XTAG2, and off you go.

I'm afraid there is not much information about this written in a manual or howto way.