Panic for very bad soldering work in the XTAG board

Technical discussions around xCORE processors (e.g. xcore-200 & xcore.ai).
jagspaul
Experienced Member

Panic for very bad soldering work in the XTAG board

Post by jagspaul »

Today I have received my XC-3 LED Tile kit from digikey. After physical inspection I got shocked to see very bad soldering work in the XTAG board. It is found that pin no. 3-4 & 31-32 is wrongly shorted with bad solder. I am quite sure the board is not working & it has been send without test. I am worried to apply power for any farther damage.

Now my situation is like that I have got a car to drive without steering.
I don’t know what to do.

In this situation I would like to say that I am a new bee of XMOS, till date I use simulator to learn XMOS but I am such a lucky guy who don’t have any way to work in a real system even purchasing a costly XMOS kit.

Hope XMOS team will show some responsibility in this issue.

please find the attached files.

regards
jags
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

lilltroll
XCore Expert

Post by lilltroll »

XC-1Abott.png
Well it really lock nasty, and I do not have an XTAG board my self, but I have an XC-1A and it looks the same between pin 3 & 4, but look at the Gerber for the bottom layer here first!

I can not answer for sure for the XTAG board, but maybe i can post the gerber for it if I find it on the xmos site.

(It's the bottom layer seem from the top, e.g. it is mirrored)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Probably not the most confused programmer anymore on the XCORE forum.
lilltroll
XCore Expert

Post by lilltroll »

Sch.PNG
FTDI.PNG
Well it is VCC that is connected to reset# and VCCIOB connected to one bus pin.
At least not worth a panic ;)
jagspaul
Experienced Member

Post by jagspaul »

lilltroll wrote: Well it is VCC that is connected to reset# and VCCIOB connected to one bus pin.
for 3-4 it is VCC that is connected to reset#. ok it is no problem.
But 31-32 VCCIOB connected to one bus pin. Is it normal? Are you sure?

Any way I have connected my PC through XTAG to XC-3 board & found XDE is detecting both XTAG & XC-3 board.

I connect a ethernet cable between XC-3 and my PC (IP: 192.168.0.90) and try ping to 192.168.0.254 and found reply. I think the board is working. What do you think?

After some time I touch the upper surface of XMOS G4 controller and fill to much hot. I could not able to place my finger for long time.

Is that much heat is normal for G4? ro there is any problem in my G4 chip?

regards
jags
lilltroll
XCore Expert

Post by lilltroll »

jagspaul wrote:
lilltroll wrote: Well it is VCC that is connected to reset# and VCCIOB connected to one bus pin.
for 3-4 it is VCC that is connected to reset#. ok it is no problem.
But 31-32 VCCIOB connected to one bus pin. Is it normal? Are you sure?

Any way I have connected my PC through XTAG to XC-3 board & found XDE is detecting both XTAG & XC-3 board.

I connect a ethernet cable between XC-3 and my PC (IP: 192.168.0.90) and try ping to 192.168.0.254 and found reply. I think the board is working. What do you think?

After some time I touch the upper surface of XMOS G4 controller and fill to much hot. I could not able to place my finger for long time.

Is that much heat is normal for G4? ro there is any problem in my G4 chip?

regards
jags
Yes I'm sure, since it is connected like that in the schematic, several other bus pins is connected to GND as well.
The G series doesn't have much for power saving when idle, that means that it will produce around 1.6W of heat, and ~0.4W/ cm^2 will become hot, but it will not fry.
jagspaul
Experienced Member

Post by jagspaul »

Ok thanks a lot.

Now I can start play with my XC-3 board.

Thanks & regards
jags
leon_heller
XCore Expert

Post by leon_heller »

I just checked one of the XTAGs that was supplied with my XC-2 boards, and those leads on the FTDI chip are connected.