Programming difference between KSZ8051 & LAN8700

Technical discussions around xCORE processors (e.g. xcore-200 & xcore.ai).
jagspaul
Experienced Member

Programming difference between KSZ8051 & LAN8700

Post by jagspaul »

In our market KSZ8051 is bit cheaper ($1.5) rather than LAN8700 ($7), that is why I like to use KSZ8051 in my XMOS Ethernet application instead of LAN8700.

I am using sc_ethernet module of github.

Now my question is what are the modification is needed in sc_ethernet module source to drive KSZ8051.

jags

Folknology
XCore Legend

Post by Folknology »

That's interesting Jags, an alternative to anything from SMSC is a good thing as they aren't exactly my favourite company. I also like the fact that this looks like better value, are you using the SI-50170-F mag jacks with it? In terms of getting it working with Xmos most of the work would likely be around the MDC config of registers would be my guess, the MII stuff will be near identical to the 87XX.
The KSZ8051 is a highly integrated, compact solution. It reduces board cost and simplifies board layout by using on-chip termination resistors for the differential pairs and by integrating a low noise regulator to supply the 1.2V core.
This is a useful feature, do you have any circuit designs connected to the magnetics that you could share?

regards
Al
jagspaul
Experienced Member

Post by jagspaul »

I have come to know about KSZ8051 from one of the member of this forum. He is doing the schematic and hope after testing he will post it in forum.

I am also waiting for his test report.

Finally I will design a pcb with KSZ8051 for my XMOS Ethernet project and then it will be out for this forum.

jags