XS1-L2

Technical discussions around xCORE processors (e.g. xcore-200 & xcore.ai).
Folknology
XCore Legend

XS1-L2

Post by Folknology »

Are there any updates on the L2 status?

I could really do with ports and pinouts, are they (could they) be made available?

I also have a commercial project that could be made viable by an L, any advice on samples and ship dates?

Will it be using the QFN124 packaging?

regards
Al

paul
XCore Addict

Post by paul »

Yes it is using the 124 QFN, the L2 data sheet is now available here: http://www.xmos.com/published/xs1-l2-124qfn-ds

Please contact XMOS directly for sales enquiries- https://www.xmos.com/support/contact

Thanks!
Paul

On two occasions I have been asked, 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Folknology
XCore Legend

Post by Folknology »

Thanks Paul

Just the ticket for what I need...

regards
Al
Heater
Respected Member

Post by Heater »

What is the purpose of the "ring" position in the port pin table in the L2 data sheet?

I don't recall seeing that elsewhere.
lilltroll
XCore Expert

Post by lilltroll »

First time I see a QFN with double rows of pads, but it has a very nice compact size (10*10) mm^2

How many PCB layers do you typically need for that ? (Using almost all singals ?)
Can it be produced with 4 layers and 0.3 mm drills?
Probably not the most confused programmer anymore on the XCORE forum.
Folknology
XCore Legend

Post by Folknology »

@lilltroll From what I understand this part can be used on a 2 layer board unlike the BGA parts.

In other threads on the Linkers site it was stated that XMOS have actually tested the routing for 2 layer boards.

@Paul Are there some routing examples/tips that show 2 layer usage? that would be helpful and might save us some time
TonyD
XCore Addict

Post by TonyD »

Heater wrote:What is the purpose of the "ring" position in the port pin table in the L2 data sheet?

I don't recall seeing that elsewhere.
I was wondering about them too. There's no mention of them in xsystem-xs1-L.pdf.

From the small drawing in table 2.2 of the XS1 L2 data sheet:

ON = Output North, OE = Output East, OS = Output South, OW = Output West ??
IN = Input North, IE = Input East, IS = Input South, IW = Input West ??

As Toyah Wilcox used to sing "its a mystery" :)
TonyD
XCore Addict

Post by TonyD »

lilltroll wrote:First time I see a QFN with double rows of pads,....
Whoa, QFN with double pad rows - well, there goes the hand soldering option ;)
Heater
Respected Member

Post by Heater »

TonyD. It's all clear now. Prompted by the posts above I continue down the data sheet and check the pin layout. There is indeed two "rings" of pins around the chip. So the pin table is telling us which side of the chip each pin is, N,S,E,W and whether it is on the inside or outside ring I, O.

Never seen such a thing before. How is it soldered? Does it have balls of solder like a BGA or what?
TonyD
XCore Addict

Post by TonyD »

Heater wrote:TonyD. It's all clear now. Prompted by the posts above I continue down the data sheet and check the pin layout. There is indeed two "rings" of pins around the chip. So the pin table is telling us which side of the chip each pin is, N,S,E,W and whether it is on the inside or outside ring I, O.

Never seen such a thing before. How is it soldered? Does it have balls of solder like a BGA or what?
Yes, I understand it now :idea: . The "ring" describes which pin/pad row outside or inside the signal is on.

No QFN packages don't have solder balls like BGA's, just pads underneath and near the edge the IC package. You would Reflow them like other SMD/SMT components but you can hand solder "normal" (i.e. single row) QFN if you're careful.

Its the first time I've seen a double row QFN, but it does make for a very small IC.