Magnetics required? & Eagle footprints for LAN8710, H2019NL

Technical discussions around xCORE processors (e.g. xcore-200 & xcore.ai).
Matt

Magnetics required? & Eagle footprints for LAN8710, H2019NL

Post by Matt »

Hey Guys,

Im taking the plunge and want to design my own board using a couple of L1-64LQFP 's with Ethernet controller. I have the footprint of the L1 from the sparkfun library but I can not locate a footprint for the SMSC LAN8710A.
I also noted on the AVB end point schematic has H2019NL magnetics included. My project will be interfacing to other components via RS232. My question is do you think that magnetics would be advised? I have a power supply that would offer full isolation. I would hate to plug my device into a peripheral and cause a earth/power problem.

Cheers Matt.

Berni
Respected Member

Post by Berni »

Yeah ethernet requires magnetics to work, its usually best to use the jacks with built in magnetics.

As for the footprints you might find a close enough one in the librarys, but you will probably need to draw your own symbol for the part.
Matt

Post by Matt »

Thanks for that. Do you suggest any particular jack?
Berni
Respected Member

Post by Berni »

Pretty much any jack will work, If you dont get a jack with it built in you can get the transformer separately as a 1:1 pulse transformer. For only making one board you could even pull them out of a old network PCI card.
Andy
Respected Member

Post by Andy »

Berni wrote:Yeah ethernet requires magnetics to work, its usually best to use the jacks with built in magnetics.
The PHY manufacturers actually prefer external magnetics because they (can) improve isolation. However, a bit more care has to be taken when doing the PCB layout.

XMOS have used this integrated jack from Halo in the past: http://www.futureelectronics.com/en/tec ... L21RL.aspx