Any interrest in an XMOS stamp in DIP format?

Technical discussions around xCORE processors (e.g. xcore-200 & xcore.ai).
bsmithyman
Experienced Member

Post by bsmithyman »

DanB wrote:Looks like fun How do the three boards interface?
It looks to me like there are surface mount pinouts for board-to-board connectors (the two rectangles with very small traces coming off of them). My guess is that they're on the bottom of the panelized XMOS boards, and the top of the JTAG / breakout boards? They would press-fit together.

DanB
Experienced Member

Post by DanB »

bsmithyman wrote:
DanB wrote:Looks like fun How do the three boards interface?
It looks to me like there are surface mount pinouts for board-to-board connectors (the two rectangles with very small traces coming off of them). My guess is that they're on the bottom of the panelized XMOS boards, and the top of the JTAG / breakout boards? They would press-fit together.
Now that would make sense. I noted the surface mount pinouts for board-to-board connectors but as I could not see the corresponding connection on the XMOS board... But it could be on the underside as you suggest.

So rp181: In which case, out of interest, how much do the three boards run to in terms of cost? And are you planning on making them available to any interested parties on XCore? :)
rp181
Respected Member

Post by rp181 »

That is exactly right. I attached detail pictures of the front and back of the main board. There is an 8 bit port broken out, and 8 1 bit ports. The main board is quite small at 1.75" x 0.8125".

The biggest board is intended for programming, where the smaller baseboard is intended for through hole implementation.

I am planning on producing them for sale after verifying they work to fund a 512 BGA board. Cost should be pretty low, probably under $50/$40 depending on how many people want, since PCB's get cheaper with quantity.

EDIT: That cost includes the main board, the JTAG board, and the IO breakout board.
Attachments
back.jpeg
(445.05 KiB) Not downloaded yet
back.jpeg
(445.05 KiB) Not downloaded yet
front.jpeg
(561.48 KiB) Not downloaded yet
front.jpeg
(561.48 KiB) Not downloaded yet
DanB
Experienced Member

Post by DanB »

rp181 wrote:That is exactly right. I attached detail pictures of the front and back of the main board. There is an 8 bit port broken out, and 8 1 bit ports. The main board is quite small at 1.75" x 0.8125".

The biggest board is intended for programming, where the smaller baseboard is intended for through hole implementation.

I am planning on producing them for sale after verifying they work to fund a 512 BGA board. Cost should be pretty low, probably under $50/$40 depending on how many people want, since PCB's get cheaper with quantity.

EDIT: That cost includes the main board, the JTAG board, and the IO breakout board.
Ravi,

Thanks for the additional pictures... Looks great! I hope this is not a silly question (based on not knowing the price of the individual components)... Is the quote $40 - $50 for the populated boards, or just the PCBs? If the latter, how much do you anticipate it would cost for the three populated boards?

Great work :)
rp181
Respected Member

Post by rp181 »

Thats for fully populated boards. If I can get 30 pre-orders, im pretty sure I can probably do $46 each. 46 dollars for a populated board, and the two base boards.

EDIT: Ideally I would like to sell 100 CPU boards and 50 sets of JTAG/IO breakout boards. $40 per CPU board, and $6 per set of breakouts.
DanB
Experienced Member

Post by DanB »

rp181 wrote:EDIT: Ideally I would like to sell 100 CPU boards and 50 sets of JTAG/IO breakout boards. $40 per CPU board, and $6 per set of breakouts.
So we're talking each person having to buy 2 CPU boards for each set of JTAG/IO breakout boards? So 30 people pre-ordering at $40 + $40 + $6 = $86 for the 2x CPU board an 1x breakout set?
rp181
Respected Member

Post by rp181 »

Yes, that would be the cost. I am not going to require two CPU boards, I would need to average to that though. Those numbers fill panels nicely, and makes it economical. If I could get 50 people to buy 2 boards and a breakout set, than I would be set to order.
rp181
Respected Member

Post by rp181 »

Update: Found some cheaper places, can reduce to $36 each CPU board, $6 each breakout pair.
DanB
Experienced Member

Post by DanB »

rp181 wrote:Update: Found some cheaper places, can reduce to $36 each CPU board, $6 each breakout pair.
Looks good. Maybe worth setting up a formal way people can register interest (a poll on here?) so that you can work out if you could do it. I think I'd probably be interested, ideally in two CPU boards if costs remain reasonable so that I can explore the whole X-Link concept. Quite funny, as I've only just this afternoon started playing with my XC-1A but already I can see the XMOS family are really fun to work with! :)

Other thing I've noticed is you're state-side. How's that going to work with respect to postage?
rp181
Respected Member

Post by rp181 »

Ile ship anywhere, if postage is paid. Probably first class or international flat rate.
I will setup something formally once I get prototypes working! How do you think the $36 price is?

By the way, to use XLINK's the XLINK on the JTAG header will have to be used. Im not sure if you can connect two of the same XLink ports together, since you would have to use X0LB (2 bit) on both boards.