Any interrest in an XMOS stamp in DIP format?

Technical discussions around xCORE processors (e.g. xcore-200 & xcore.ai).
octal
XCore Addict

Any interrest in an XMOS stamp in DIP format?

Post by octal »

Hello,
I have worked these three days on a stamp like board for XS1-L1 64LQFP chip. It will have onboard all needed oscillator+power supply (switcher+reg+cap + maybe a JTAG connector or miniconnector with adapter for jtag).

Well, I want also to provide a (big) stamp in DIP format for the L2 processor. This one will be a bit long, but it will make it easy to use XMOS chips on breadboards and on "normal" prototyping boards.

I'm trying to find the best deal to got the stamp made at nice price, to make it available for all users.

Are you interrested in such products (specify approx/guess quantities if possible)? this will let me estimate a bit the qtt to produce (necessary for negociating fabrication).

I'll receive first shot of 5 boards (that I'll assemble by hand) next week. If tests are OK, I'll make x10 units and send them (for free) to voulounteers who accept to do tests in few days later.

Berni
Respected Member

Post by Berni »

Well half of the forum has been asking them selfs this question why doesn't xmos make one of those. Especially for the pain in the a** soldering job ones like the L2 and G4.
octal
XCore Addict

Post by octal »

Hi Berni,
I'll make the stamps produced by a a fab. I'll not solder them by hand.

for the L2 and G4, I have other plans. These are BGA chips and I'm looking (actively since 3 days) for a low price (and good quality) assembly factory. The prices I found right now for BGA soldering are simply too high to be worth.

For these chips I'm working on a new solution. When I worked on the stamp, I tought a lot to G4 (and L2) and these chips are really important, but for a board to be usable on them it must be at leats 4 layers I think (wich make things complicated even for prototyping).
I tought to make a universal dev board that will have onboard:
1- JTAG (this is why I asked in another post about using FT2232 JTAG even for S1 chips)
2- connectors to access ALL chip pins.
3- some devices like SPI Flash, DDRAM/SRAM, buttons and leds
4- an onboard GLCD (with touch)
4- maybe H bridge and some level converters to be able to do LIN, CAN, RS485, ... (all these devices can be enabled/disconnected using microswitches)
5- the MCU will be mounted on a little DIMM like mini-board (like SDRAM/DDR2 connector). Such board have the ability to expose connections on both sides, and makes the board more compact.

If you want to have a better idea of what will be the board, have a look at EasyPIC32 http://www.mikroe.com/eng/products/view ... nt-system/

I want to make something like that for XMOS devices!!! (it will not be that easy, especially for prototyping first versions)!!!
ale500
Respected Member

Post by ale500 »

That is a nice board. Instead of switches, I mean keys, one could use a capacitive touch keyboard with either a PIC or an AVR, it also may work with XMOS.

DDR2 and DDR are out of the question for the time being due to speed reasons and the double-rate. I'd stick with either SDRAM or (fast) SRAM.
DanB
Experienced Member

Post by DanB »

Wow octal that looks fantastic; If you ever got an XMOS board anything *like* that EasyPIC32 it would be incredible! :)

I have no experience (yet!) with the XMOS however depending on pricing I'd be interested in anything you end up design and producing... It would be one of those things where if I do not get it now (whilst I have no use for it) by the time I do appreciate a use it there will not be the availability to get one :).
Vaati

Post by Vaati »

I'd LOVE to test one of these!! I've never gotten my hands on an XMOS processor yet, and this might be a good chance. :)
octal
XCore Addict

Post by octal »

ale500 wrote: DDR2 and DDR are out of the question for the time being due to speed reasons and the double-rate. I'd stick with either SDRAM or (fast) SRAM.
it was a mistake. I tought to SDRAM and SRAM (static low power ram).

This board will be a long time project, it can't be done in few days. For now, the only thing I can prepare will be the XS1 (64 and 128 pin) Stamp. First versions will be ready for this end of this month if tests are ok.
DanB
Experienced Member

Post by DanB »

octal wrote: If tests are OK, I'll make x10 units and send them (for free) to voulounteers who accept to do tests in few days later.
What tests would you require volunteers to complete (an example, if you have no specifics in mind at this time) and what equipment would they require?

If I believe I have the required skills and/or tools based on your requirements I'd be happy to put myself forward for this. If you require somebody with XMOS experience then I'd not be your best bet as I am new to the world of XMOS, but I'm hoping things may change after this weekend once I'm managed to get to grips with my XC-1A :)
rp181
Respected Member

Post by rp181 »

I really don't think a DIP style breakout is worth it for the BGA's, those are the types of things that are better to integrate into your own design.

I was looking through datasheets yesterday, and it seems the 512 BGA has plenty of IO for external SRAM. Many SRAM chips have dual access capability, allowing one set of pins to write over another by pulling a pin high/low. This seems great to give two cores shared RAM, perfect for image processing. From my quick browsing, 8MB of SRAM per two cores seems economical, and I think the IO can handle 18M per two cores.

If anyone is interested in a L1 breakout, I have a board that pulls pins out to SMD connectors that can easily be modified for DIP style. Or better yet, a base board brings these IO's out, allowing you to pull the processor module off.

Attached is a picture of the panel I will be ordering tonight, with the processor board, a XTAG compatible breakout, and a IO breakout (for use after JTAG programming).
Attachments
panelized_final.jpeg
(720.83 KiB) Not downloaded yet
panelized_final.jpeg
(720.83 KiB) Not downloaded yet
DanB
Experienced Member

Post by DanB »

rp181 wrote:Attached is a picture of the panel I will be ordering tonight, with the processor board, a XTAG compatible breakout, and a IO breakout (for use after JTAG programming).
Looks like fun :) How do the three boards interface? I may be missing the obvious, having not spent much time looking at PCBs before, but where is the connector that the boards use to connect together? Or have I got this all confused and it is three distinctly separate boards?

Dan.