Project VDP-1

Non-technical related questions should go here.
deadshot
Member++

Project VDP-1

Post by deadshot »

Project VDP-1 looks great...does anyone have the schematic for the resistors...

jason
XCore Expert

Post by jason »

You probably want to get in touch with the projects creator - yzoer
TonyD
XCore Addict

Post by TonyD »

deadshot wrote:Project VDP-1 looks great...does anyone have the schematic for the resistors...
About a year ago I did a couple of designs using Yvo's video engine. You can find the schematics for them here:

http://zuzebox.wordpress.com/2009/11/24 ... tic-v0-10/

http://zuzebox.wordpress.com/2010/01/07 ... pcb-v0-42/
deadshot
Member++

Post by deadshot »

I have another quick question on the VDP-1.

I am looking at purchasing XMOS XS1-L1-64 Deve board from sparkfun...The web site lists the following:

"The SFE development platform can be programmed either by creating a project that uses the XC-5 Development Platform"

Using the XC-5 I get the following error when I try to compile the VDP-1 Code "stdcore" exceeds its upper bound...Is it not possible to run the VDP-1 program/project on this board?
bsmithyman
Experienced Member

Post by bsmithyman »

deadshot wrote:I have another quick question on the VDP-1.

I am looking at purchasing XMOS XS1-L1-64 Deve board from sparkfun...The web site lists the following:

"The SFE development platform can be programmed either by creating a project that uses the XC-5 Development Platform"

Using the XC-5 I get the following error when I try to compile the VDP-1 Code "stdcore" exceeds its upper bound...Is it not possible to run the VDP-1 program/project on this board?
This is because it's written to run on one of the 4-core boards, and the VDP_CORE constant is set to 3 in VDP.h.
The XC-5 and Sparkfun boards both use a single-core device, so only stdcore[0] exists, and therefore VDP_CORE needs to be set to 0 as well.
deadshot
Member++

Post by deadshot »

I changed VDP_CORE to zero...and I still get the following error..

Constraint check for node 0, core 0:
Stack available: <00000000, used: 000000d8 . FAILED
Threads available: 8, used: 4 . OKAY
Timers available: 10, used: 0 . OKAY
Chanends available: 32, used: 5 . OKAY
Error: Constraints check FAILED for node 0, core 0.
xmake: *** [hitest.xe] Error 1
Andy
Respected Member

Post by Andy »

deadshot wrote:I changed VDP_CORE to zero...and I still get the following error..

Constraint check for node 0, core 0:
Stack available: <00000000, used: 000000d8 . FAILED
Threads available: 8, used: 4 . OKAY
Timers available: 10, used: 0 . OKAY
Chanends available: 32, used: 5 . OKAY
Error: Constraints check FAILED for node 0, core 0.
xmake: *** [hitest.xe] Error 1
This error means that the program can't fit in the 64K of RAM on a single core. Looking at the source, there are quite a few big tables of data (sprites etc). If you can remove the dependency on some of these, it should compile.
yzoer
XCore Addict

Post by yzoer »

Hi There!

The actual core itself is rather lean, using only a few K for internal scanlines and what not. The demo on the other hand uses quite a lot of graphics data, but that's something that can easily be scaled down. In main.XC, the biggest cull-print is the 'layer0' map data. If you take that out and comment out any blocks of code referencing that, you should be fine.

Meanwhile, if you have any questions about how things work, feel free to ask..

-Yvo
deadshot
Member++

Post by deadshot »

yzoer,

Good to hear from you...I took out layer0 and I am still getting the same error...any chance you can look at the code and get it to compile for the XC-5 development board...thank you
yzoer
XCore Addict

Post by yzoer »

Hi!

Unfortunately I don't have an XC-5 board to test it on but it all should fit, especially if you took out the second layer. Anyone else here tried it on an XC-5 and can help deadshot out? Do you still get the out-of-memory error btw or has it changed?

-Yvo