XTAG3 LEDs

If you have a simple question and just want an answer.
psupine
Member++

XTAG3 LEDs

Post by psupine »

Would someone quickly check this for me please.

If you plug an XTAG3 into a target board (mine is a xCORE-200 eXplorer but I'll take answers from anything) WITHOUT starting up the xTIME IDE, what is the status of the LEDs on the XTAG3 card?

Specifically, I'm interested in the D1 LED that is closest to the USB connector. On my broken setup that LED is red but I suspect that it should be green. This is all about trying to determine how much "discovery" the XTAG3 does without xTIME poking it.

Thanks

mon2
XCore Legend

Post by mon2 »

Attached.

xmos_xtag3.png
(372.27 KiB) Not downloaded yet
xmos_xtag3.png
(372.27 KiB) Not downloaded yet
psupine
Member++

Post by psupine »

Thanks mon2.

And when it is plugged into the target does it discover the target immediately it is powered up, or does it need the IDE to initiate this?
mon2
XCore Legend

Post by mon2 »

Hi.

1) The XTAG3 is a stand alone USB function (JTAG) tool. Respectively, when docked with a fully loaded (all 4 wires present; short & sweet) USB cable, the host PC on most motherboards will see the USB device. Then you must map to the respective tool supplied device driver using the USB IDs (PID & VID). The XTAG3 tool has been known to be not friendly with USB hubs / USB 3.1 Gen 1 / 2 ports (blue insulator). But if it worked before with the same cable then you have a chance to use the same working setup.

2) The IDE is used to use this USB tool to then ping the target CPU and report back either through the GUI or command prompt shell within the XTIME toolchain.

At this time, what do you see in your Device Manager with just the XTAG3 tool? Can you review the properties of the XTAG3 tool? Does it get mapped to the proper driver?

At best I may have an older XMOS Startkit @ home (my better half does not like too much tech @ home lab) - most of the XMOS goodies are at work.

As noted before and by many others, your XTAG3 may just spring back to life after the latch event clears up - basing on if the XTAG3 tool was not zapped. BTW - Pretty sure that the XTAG3 tool is not ESD protected on the USB port pins which is a shame. At least not showing in the schematic but will inspect tomorrow under the microscope. Perhaps to lower the overall cost of the tool.