Converting BT.656 to RGB

All technical discussions and projects around startKIT
simran
New User

Converting BT.656 to RGB

Post by simran »

Hey guys, I'm thinking about buying a startKit for my project, but need some idea of its capabilities in converting BT.656 video from an analog video decoding IC to 24 bit RGB in realtime. Is this possible? If it is, do you know of anyone who has done it successfully?

Thanks for your help in advance!

sethu_jangala
XCore Expert

Post by sethu_jangala »

The following topic in the Q&A section answers your question:

http://www.xcore.com/questions/2437/can ... play-30fps

Can you give more information on what frame rates are you looking for?
simran
New User

Post by simran »

I've seen that answer. I am looking at achieving 60fps, but 30fps is the bare minimum. I am completely new to XMOS and the parallel processing but I understand, and as sudha said in his answer to that question, that I would need to dedicate one process to grabbing the video from the decoder chip, with other processes alongside performing the calculations on the data
sudha

Post by sudha »

You can use a double line buffer. When one buffer fetches a line of video frame in one logical core, the other buffer that stores the previous line is simultaneously processed by another logical core. If the processing is done within one line fetch time plus the horizontal blanking period, then the desired frame rate is met. Otherwise, you need to tweak the horizontal blanking period at the source that generates the video signal. Increasing the horizontal blanking period may reduce the frame rate. The frame rate can be maintained by decreasing the image size if allowed.