Raspberry pi with Xcore array microphone Topic is solved

New to XMOS and XCore? Get started here.
antonimaco
Member++

Raspberry pi with Xcore array microphone

Post by antonimaco »

Hi,
I would like to connect my raspberry pi 3 with an array microphone in order to control this array from the raspberry.
I'm trying to install software "Xmos studio" in raspbian but I'm not able to do it since it is compiled for ubuntu operative system.

Is there any way to do what I'm trying??
I have read in the documentation that you can connect the raspberry to a vocal fusion hardware by i2c connection but I would like to connect the raspberry to an array microphone.

Thanks in advance.

Antonio

View Solution
mon2
XCore Legend

Post by mon2 »

Hi. There may be some confusion or at least I am from your post. Do not have this kit but:

1) Stick with Ubuntu or Windows for the xTimeComposer tools to generate any XMOS related firmware. Otherwise you will consume far too much time to get a new platform to function as it should. No fun in this.

2) The I2C control of the XMOS array means that you must supply an I2C master. This I2C master can be anything from Arduino, STM32, Silabs, Linux, Raspberry PI. It does not matter as long as you understand what is the expected command structure to send from the Master to this I2C slave and how to read back and interpret any status from such commands. Your Raspberry PI Raspbian image should offer the support for an I2C master. We recall this when we were evaluating the many other microphone solutions for our pending voice designs. Each used the same RPI image and had I2C master pins being mated with the external hardware.

3) So in summary, the Ubuntu platform on a PC would be used to compile the array source code -> then you upload this firmware onto the XMOS microphone array hardware so it can power up and perform its task(s). Once this embedded appliance is running, it can be configured over the i2C interface with your RPI to suit.

Hope this makes sense or write back if I misunderstood.
antonimaco
Member++

Post by antonimaco »

mon2 wrote:Hi. There may be some confusion or at least I am from your post. Do not have this kit but:

1) Stick with Ubuntu or Windows for the xTimeComposer tools to generate any XMOS related firmware. Otherwise you will consume far too much time to get a new platform to function as it should. No fun in this.

2) The I2C control of the XMOS array means that you must supply an I2C master. This I2C master can be anything from Arduino, STM32, Silabs, Linux, Raspberry PI. It does not matter as long as you understand what is the expected command structure to send from the Master to this I2C slave and how to read back and interpret any status from such commands. Your Raspberry PI Raspbian image should offer the support for an I2C master. We recall this when we were evaluating the many other microphone solutions for our pending voice designs. Each used the same RPI image and had I2C master pins being mated with the external hardware.

3) So in summary, the Ubuntu platform on a PC would be used to compile the array source code -> then you upload this firmware onto the XMOS microphone array hardware so it can power up and perform its task(s). Once this embedded appliance is running, it can be configured over the i2C interface with your RPI to suit.

Hope this makes sense or write back if I misunderstood.
Thank you mon2. I have successfully flashed my Xmos array microphone and now I can record audio from Audacity software of my Raspbian OS. Therefore now, I'm trying to control my array microphone via i2C with raspberry pi.

Thanks a lot.

Antonio