XUF208 hardware/firmware compatibility

New to XMOS and XCore? Get started here.
ACR_Ovation

XUF208 hardware/firmware compatibility

Post by ACR_Ovation »

Hello,
can someone confirm that I can compile the necessary modules from the xCORE-200 MC Audio software suite to run on the XUF-208-256-TQ64?

Obviously pin assignments would have to change etc. I just want to make sure I am not overlooking anything before I start to draw up the schematic.

Thank you

mon2
XCore Legend

Post by mon2 »

Your safe bet is to apply the same processor as used on the xCORE-200 MC Audio board which is the XE216-512-TQ128 (requires an external flash device) OR XEF216-512-TQ128 (same processor but with internal flash device).

The part you are referencing, XUF-208-256-TQ64, differs as follows:

64 pin TQFP vs. 128 pin TQFP (so less # of GPIO pins and related ports and widths);
256k ram vs. 512k ram;
more important is the 8 cores (single tile) vs. 16 cores (dual tile);
usb only vs. ethernet + usb.

If you are confident of your IP and hardware requirements (resources) then proceed but recommend to first test your IP with your requirements on the xCORE-200 MC and to review the resources for the compiled code.

Using the same package and ideally same density / cores will allow you to apply proven code building blocks for your product. Otherwise, you may have to invest some quality time to debug the IP to force fit into the alternate CPU.

At the very least, apply a TQFP128 pin processor package so that if required, you can drop in the original CPU to salvage the design. For example, XU216-512-TQ128 will be a better choice if you do not plan to use Ethernet (still dual tile; 16 cores; same ram). However, do shop around as you may find that the XE series (USB + Ethernet included) are available for a lower cost than XU series (USB only) due to the volumes of scale.

http://www.futureelectronics.com/en/Tec ... 60539&IM=0
infiniteimprobability
XCore Legend

Post by infiniteimprobability »

Also take a look at this document:

https://www.xmos.com/download/private/A ... rc1%29.pdf

It has sample pin mappings for the XU208 device. If you don't plan to add too much more then USB Audio normally fits comfortably in this device.
ACR_Ovation

Post by ACR_Ovation »

Thanks for the replies - appreciate it.

It will only be doing a audio in - USB, Toslink, SP/DIF, coax to DAC. There will be one or two buttons and an LED or two but that's it.
ACR_Ovation

Post by ACR_Ovation »

I've downloaded the document about porting the USB 2.0 audio ref SW to a different xCORe platform. I think I will be able to do this - might have a few questions at the time though.
infiniteimprobability
XCore Legend

Post by infiniteimprobability »

From memory that should be 5 cores for USB audio + 1 for SPDIF in + 2 for SPDIF out. That should *just* fit in an XU208 core-wise, although you will have tons of memory left. You can inline LED and buttons code the audio loop or clockgen (which is part of the SPDIF Rx code).
ACR_Ovation

Post by ACR_Ovation »

Hi,

I will only take inputs - no outputs other than to the DAC - I should then be ok for resources.