Simple problem with tutorial

New to XMOS and XCore? Get started here.
davidgh121
New User

Simple problem with tutorial

Post by davidgh121 »

I am trying to get started with the board and found this tutorial. https://www.xmos.com/download/private/s ... 1.1%29.pdf
I my problem is literally at the start. It says in 2.1 to select the "community window" and I can't find it anywhere. It says that its in the bottom left next to "xSOFTip" but all I can see in the bottom left is the library tab.
It's probably really obvious or a stupid thing to ask but I've never used this software before and the tutorials are a bit vague.

Any help would be appreciated.

mon2
XCore Legend

Post by mon2 »

The document is old and from 2013. xSOFTIP does not exist anymore.

Using the current toolchain, you can find the examples and many tutorials as follows:

davidgh121
New User

Post by davidgh121 »

Thank you! It seemed outdated, I asked the company themselves and they just sent me hyperlinks of stuff I already had.

Appreciate it.
tbjr6
Member++

Post by tbjr6 »

I had the same issue. I mainly wanted xSOFTip for the following:
"My System Information: the resources used by the xSOFTip components you have selected, and the XMOS multicore microcontrollers which suit your application"
Does the current toolchain have resource info somewhere still?
mon2
XCore Legend

Post by mon2 »

@tbjr6, missed your post.

Early on, XMOS referenced their software IP as xSOFTip. Now they are just libraries. In short, XMOS processors operate with IP (aka firmware, libraries, code) that bit bang like mad to achieve the function you are after. XMOS is known for their audio IP but their processors are also suitable for high speed interfacing, motor controllers, GPIO functions such as I2C, SPI, etc. XMOS devices are just shy of considering a move to FPGA but you program in C (actually XC).

What do you wish to build?
tbjr6
Member++

Post by tbjr6 »

@mon2, funny enough I missed your post too

I kind of figured what they did was somewhere along the lines of DMA based bit banging. What I'm working on is effectively high density SPDIF IO over USB. I was trying to figure out how many channels each chip would be able to handle. I was looking at the XUF208, but wondering how many channels of SPDIF it could handle. I have a board from DIYINHK and the XMOS programmer. That is my current plan to see how much I can make it do.