USB 2.0 MC development board not recognized by Windows 7

New to XMOS and XCore? Get started here.
xyzxyz

Post by xyzxyz »

Thanks a lot! More progress. It turns out both the XTAG-2 and the USB cable needs to be connected to the host. Now I can flash the usb_audio.xe and install the TUSBAudio successfully, even though the compile of app_usb_aud_l2 still shows the above error message.

I am using Audacity to capture the sounds. Audacity can identify all the XMOS input channels, but now the problem is it captures nothing --- all input signal magnitudes are 0. Do you know what is the problem here? Audacity can only capture 2 channels. Could you recommend alternative software that can capture all XMOS channels simultaneously?

Thanks again for your help along the way.
sethu wrote:Probably you haven't connected the xTAG-2 device to the host. Also, make sure that the Black switch (power switch) on the side of the MC reference design board is switched ON before flashing.

sethu_jangala
XCore Expert

Post by sethu_jangala »

Did you set the XMOS Audio device as the default device for Audio playing in your host? You should be able to capture more than 2 channels using Audacity.

Sethu
xyzxyz

Post by xyzxyz »

Yes, I did set the XMOS device as the default audio capturing and playback device.

Playback partially works -- I can hear from one of the output channels, but not others. Audacity seems to support only one output channel.

Capturing still doesn't work. There are various options:

Host interface: MME, Windows direct sound
Recording Device: Line (XMOS XS1-L2), SPDIF Interface (XMOS XS1-L2), Digital Audio Interface (XMOS XS1-L2) (1), Digital Audio Interface (XMOS XS1-L2) (2), Digital Audio Interface (XMOS XS1-L2) (3).

Channels: 1 mono, 2 stereo

I tried almost all of them and still cannot capture any sound.

Is there a sample application that allows us to capture 4 channel sound and put the audio samples into a file?

Thanks again!

sethu wrote:Did you set the XMOS Audio device as the default device for Audio playing in your host? You should be able to capture more than 2 channels using Audacity.

Sethu
sethu_jangala
XCore Expert

Post by sethu_jangala »

Probably the audio you are playing is Mono. Try playing multi channel audio from the Host and see if you can see something in the Audacity. Alternatively, you can generate some tones (multi channel) and play. Audacity has an option to generate the Tones.

Sethu.
xyzxyz

Post by xyzxyz »

Sethu,

Audio recording is more important to our project. We purchased the multichannel XMOS-L2 mainly for its microphones. Do you have any suggestion for recording multi-channel audio, either on Audacity or some other software?

Thanks again for your kind help.
sethu wrote:Probably the audio you are playing is Mono. Try playing multi channel audio from the Host and see if you can see something in the Audacity. Alternatively, you can generate some tones (multi channel) and play. Audacity has an option to generate the Tones.

Sethu.
sethu_jangala
XCore Expert

Post by sethu_jangala »

xyzxyz wrote:Do you have any suggestion for recording multi-channel audio, either on Audacity or some other software?
Alternatively, you can use Audition for recording and playing.

Sethu.
Ross
XCore Expert

Post by Ross »

For best results I would use an ASIO based recording program.

Incase you are not aware, the evaluation driver the restriction of inserting a tone after 30mins of use.
xyzxyz

Post by xyzxyz »

Thanks Ross. We are using the TUSBAudio 2.0 driver which is a ASIO driver. Now I am using Adobe Audition which can be configured to ASIO recording, but unfortunately it still does not capture any sounds.
Ross wrote:For best results I would use an ASIO based recording program.

Incase you are not aware, the evaluation driver the restriction of inserting a tone after 30mins of use.
xyzxyz

Post by xyzxyz »

Thanks Sethu.

Well, we bought Adobe Audition. I am trying it out. It does support more than two channels.
Unfortunately, after configuring the default device to XS1-L2, I still see no sound captured by the XS1-L2 board. My laptop can capture the sound after proper configuration.

Is there anything else I am missing. Does the board require special microphones? This is the microphone I am using:

sethu wrote: Alternatively, you can use Audition for recording and playing.

Sethu.
Ross
XCore Expert

Post by Ross »

xyzxyz wrote:
Is there anything else I am missing. Does the board require special microphones? This is the microphone I am using:
The board is line level only - there are no pre-amps. You are going to need an amp for that mic.