Trouble getting xTIME Composer started

New to XMOS and XCore? Get started here.
Mahagon
Member++

Trouble getting xTIME Composer started

Post by Mahagon »

Hi guys,

I've programmed now for some weeks with xTIMEComposer Studio and it worked fine.
Today i've got a new computer with Windows 7 Prof 64Bit... and nothing works :'(
Already in the first installation process some weeks ago, i've got a problem with the java environment (could be fixed). The same problem appeared today, and i fixed it the same way (changing -Xmx1024m to 256). But now there are some other issues, that i dont get:

1. Studio doesn't start about the common desktop link (who calls the batch file), only if i directly open the execution file manually. If i'm right, the batch file only checks the java version and then starts the normal execution file for the studio. Do i maybe have wrong java version (i have Java 7 update 17)?

2. "XDE was unable to locate the XMOS toolchain binaries" and some unset global variables like "XCC_TARGET_PATH"

Any ideas?^^ I did not find anything about that given problems in the forum/XMOS homepage, so i've created a new thread.

So far, greetings, Mahagon

edit: Running the setEnv batch file doesn't change the problems

TSC
Experienced Member

Post by TSC »

Make sure you using a Windows user profile with administrative priveleges. If not, then change it so you do have admin and then reinstall xTime Composer.
Mahagon
Member++

Post by Mahagon »

TSC wrote:Make sure you using a Windows user profile with administrative priveleges. If not, then change it so you do have admin and then reinstall xTime Composer.
hi,

i have admin privilegs. i tried to reinstall xtime and also java 32bit... at the moment nothing helps :/ actually the setEnv batch should set the correct variables, but even that doesnt work.... hmmm
TSC
Experienced Member

Post by TSC »

If you are running any antivirus/antimalware software, disable it and try again.

Is there anything unusual about your Windows setup such as being on a domain or remotely administered? Did you install Windows yourself? Is there any other software you installed prior to xTime Composer that might be interfering?
Mahagon
Member++

Post by Mahagon »

Hi,

well, it's a domain PC used at my work (logged in over the domain account). I've already checked administration rights with "whoami /groups" in cmd; looks fine, should've local admin rights (installed xtime on winXP with the same domain acc; just another PC). I'll try it with deactivated antivir software. maybe i need to contact the system administrator, but he's unfortunately in holidays ~~

well, but that's all, actually it should work^^

edit: added screen shown the errors
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bianco
XCore Expert

Post by Bianco »

You can try to open a cmd prompt, navigate to the XMOS tools directory, execute the SetEnv.bat file followed by starting the xTimeComposer from the prompt.
Mahagon
Member++

Post by Mahagon »

Bianco wrote:You can try to open a cmd prompt, navigate to the XMOS tools directory, execute the SetEnv.bat file followed by starting the xTimeComposer from the prompt.

Hi,

i already tried cmd :/
at the moment, i found out something interesting while starting "xtimecomposericon" batch file:

Code: Select all

@echo off
cd ..
call SetEnv.bat

java -version > %TMP%\java_version.txt 2>&1 //that line occurs the error i think
set /p version=< %TMP%\java_version.txt
del %TMP%\java_version.txt
set version=%version:~14,3%
if /i "%version%" LSS "1.5" (msg * "Incorrect java version. Requires 1.5 or greater.") else (start xtimecomposer_bin/xtimecomposer.exe)
(that is the batch file that got called, when clicking the standard xtimecomposer link on desktop; in turn that batch file calls SetEnv)

i get the error: " "java" kann syntaktisch an dieser Stelle nicht verarbeitet werden"; in english sth like: " "java" can not be processed at this point syntactically" ....
so theres a java problem i think ... maybe because im using german windows and this breaks the batch files or so ? :/

i already tried to install java and xtime in "Program Files" and not in "Program Files(x86)" ... still the error

seraching the web for some solutions at the moment, but not very succesfull
Mahagon
Member++

Post by Mahagon »

Ha, oh my god i got it...

it was the problem i tried to explain above ... i had to install xTIMEcompiler and java in the "program files" directory, NOT "program files(x86)" ... interesting maybe for any german programmers with 64bit windows OS! (i think that the 2nd folder doesn't exist in english languaged windows)

finally! ha!
Bianco
XCore Expert

Post by Bianco »

Glad you got it working

"Program Files(x86)" folder is on all 64-bit Windows editions.
It is the place to install 32-bit applications whereas 64-bit applications go into the "Program Files" folder.