XC-1 not found under Mac OSX

New to XMOS and XCore? Get started here.
dbetz

XC-1 not found under Mac OSX

Post by dbetz »

I've just gotten back to working with my XC-1 board that I bought quite a while ago and I'm having trouble just getting my MacBook Pro to see the XC-1 board. I've plugged it in while pressing the "A" button and I see the three LED flashes so I know it's in programming mode but if I type "xrun -l" no devices are found. Is there a driver I need to install to allow the XC-1 to be used with a Mac?

Thanks,
David

P.S. Mac OSX seems to have noticed that I plugged in my XC-1 board. Here is what it says about it. Is there some reason why xrun -l doesn't list it?

XC-1 1V0:

Product ID: 0x6010
Vendor ID: 0x0403 (Future Technology Devices International Limited)
Version: 5.00
Serial Number: 77110207
Speed: Up to 12 Mb/sec
Manufacturer: XMOS
Location ID: 0xfa140000
Current Available (mA): 500
Current Required (mA): 500

ale500
Respected Member

Post by ale500 »

Do you have the ftdi drivers installed don't you ? Which version of the tools are you using ?
Bianco
XCore Expert

Post by Bianco »

dbetz

Post by dbetz »

ale500 wrote:Do you have the ftdi drivers installed don't you ? Which version of the tools are you using ?
Thanks for your reply. I'm using version 11.2 of the tools that I downloaded just the other day. The FTDI drivers may be the problem the problem though. Yes, I have FTDI version 2.2.14 installed. I needed them for my work with the Parallax Propeller. But maybe the driver that the Propeller uses is incompatible with the XMOS tools. I seem to remember that there are two modes and they are mutually exclusive on the Macintosh. Has anyone been able to find a way around that problem or do I need to use a different machine for my XMOS work?
ale500
Respected Member

Post by ale500 »

Strange that you mention that they are mutually exclusive... the driver I use for the propeller also works for XMOS... The propeller only needs the UART afaik.
dbetz

Post by dbetz »

ale500 wrote:Strange that you mention that they are mutually exclusive... the driver I use for the propeller also works for XMOS... The propeller only needs the UART afaik.
What version of the FTDI driver do you use on your Macintosh?
dbetz

Post by dbetz »

If I go to the FTDI site I see two different drivers for the Macintosh, VCP and D2XX. I have the VCP driver installed for the Propeller at the moment. I'm assuming that I need to install the D2XX driver the XMOS board. Is that correct?
dbetz

Post by dbetz »

I installed the latest XMOS tools on a Win7 laptop and it seems to be able to see my XC-1 perfectly well. I haven't tried loading any code into it yet but this confirms that the problem is probably with Mac drivers as people have suggested here. I may just use Win7 and leave the Mac to Propeller development for the time being. Thanks for everyone's help!
Interactive_Matter
XCore Addict

Post by Interactive_Matter »

Hi,

I have installed the D2XX Drivers http://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/D2XX.htm on my Mac. Interestingly enough I am able to see print output in the debugger. Perhaps that helps you.
I know that in theory the CVP and D2XX drivers cannot coexist, but somehow it works for me.
Never tested if my FTDI-Arduino still works.

Hope it helps

Marcus
kasbah
Member++

Post by kasbah »

I just found the trick to using the XC-1 from OSX. For the XMOS tools to see it you have to unload the FTDI driver:

Code: Select all

sudo kextunload -b com.FTDI.driver.FTDIUSBSerialDriver
Then you will be able to use xrun and program it. I am using the virtual COM port to receive data from the XC-1 so after programming it I needed to load the FTDI driver again.

sudo kextload -b com.FTDI.driver.FTDIUSBSerialDriver
I put this in a little script as a wrapper around xrun:

#! /usr/bin/env sh
sudo kextunload -b com.FTDI.driver.FTDIUSBSerialDriver
xrun $1
sudo kextload -b com.FTDI.driver.FTDIUSBSerialDriver
I am afraid this was on my friend's machine so I am not sure which FTDI driver was installed but I can find out if it makes a difference to anyone.