[newbie] XDE build configurations

New to XMOS and XCore? Get started here.
jamesd

[newbie] XDE build configurations

Post by jamesd »

Hi folks,

I've started working with the XDE in the last few days and I seem to be having trouble understanding how build configurations work. I've dug around and experimented a bunch, with some success, but I don't seem to 'get it' and hopefully someone can help out!

For instance, I downloaded and imported the XMOS Ethernet component (the test apps and its modules) into my workspace. It looked as though it would be fairly straightforward to create a new XC project in the workspace that could be configured to depend on the modules from the Ethernet component. Here are my steps:

(1) I created a new XC project
(2) the Wizard says it's using the XCC toolchain, which seems right, and offers defaults of both 'Debug' and 'Release' build configurations, which seems sensible
(3) I then wrote a Makefile for the new project based on the template provided in module_xmos_common with the flags set as:

Code: Select all

SOURCE_DIRS = src
INCLUDE_DIRS = src
USED_MODULES = module_ethernet.1v3
It also has the common boilerplate at the bottom:

include $(BASE_DIR)/../module_xmos_common.1v0/build/Makefile.common
(4) I wrote a main.xc with some #includes referencing the header files in other modules
(5) I hit 'Build', and this is followed by an error:

"error: Can't open include file "ethernet_rx_client.h"
    #include "ethernet_rx_client.h""
So it seems as though I'm missing a step in the process somewhere along the line. Having gone over the Makefile with a toothcomb, I can't see any difference between the one in app_simple_webserver.1v3 (which builds happily), and the one in app_my_test (which doesn't).

However, I've noticed this 'Build Configuration' dropdown in the Project properties. Under the webserver app, there is one entry, "XMOS Compiler Collection (xcc)". My app has "Debug" and "Release". The actual build variables, environment entries and so on beneath this drop-down seem the same, except for the stuff under Build Variables marked as <ECLIPSE DYNAMIC VARIABLE>, which I can't directly see.

I've also checked the References pane in the project properties, which list the workspace modules with checkboxes for 'specifying what other projects are referenced by the project'. It doesn't seem to make any difference whether these are checked or not.

However. If I go to "Manage Configurations", create a new one from the 'Predefined Configurations' and set it as active, it still doesn't work. If I ask the same dialog to import a configuration from the example project, it works.

It might be just that it's averaged 37˚C here over the last few days, but I really don't understand what's going on. I'd be very grateful if someone can shed a little light on this. Thank you!

jamesd

Post by jamesd »

Hi again,

No idea what I'd managed to foul up in software or wetware to create the situation reported above, but after reinstalling the XDE and dumping my old workspace folders, I seem to now have everything working as expected. Your guess is as good as mine - sorry for the inconvenience!