How to install xTimeComposer 14.4.1 on Ubuntu

New to XMOS and XCore? Get started here.
SGapp
Member++

How to install xTimeComposer 14.4.1 on Ubuntu

Post by SGapp »

Hey everybody,
I recently switched to Ubuntu 18.04.5 LTS and struggeled a little bit to install xTimeComposer. I'm not very experienced with Ubuntu, so I decided to write a little tutorial on how I got xTimeComposer to work.

1. Download xTimeComposer from the XMOS Software Tools page: https://www.xmos.ai/software-tools/
2. Install a working JRE and JDK version. I initially used "apt install default-jre" which installed openjdk-11 and did result in an error message and not being able to start the xTimeComposer. It worked for me with

Code: Select all

apt install openjdk-8-jre
apt install openjdk-8-jdk
In case you have already installed an other version of Java, you can set your preferred version with

update-alternatives --config java
3. Extract the .tgz Archive with

tar -xzf installer.tgz -C your/directory
4. Switch to the directory you extracted it to and run

source SetEnv
5. Try to start xTimeComposer with

./xtimecomposer
6. In my case the application did not start and an error message popped up which did only display rectangles instead of charcters. A solution to that problem is described here.
In short: Comment out line 144 in Community_14.1.2/bin/xtimecomposer. (The line number seems to change from version to version but you will find it quickly)

#$ENV{LD_LIBRARY_PATH} = "$installpath/xtimecomposer_bin/swtbrowserlibs:$ENV{LD_LIBRARY_PATH}";
7. Try to start xTimeComposer again.

After installing a working java version and commenting out line 144 as shown in step 6, I was able to start the xTimeComposer.
Hope this helps someone in the future. I certainly would have saved me a day or two.

Have fun.
Simon
Last edited by SGapp on Thu Jun 30, 2022 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

maxmatteo

Post by maxmatteo »

thanks!