Project Of The Month Winner - May 2010 - f_petrini

All the latest news and announcements from XCore and XMOS.
jason
XCore Expert

Project Of The Month Winner - May 2010 - f_petrini

Post by jason »

1JQKtgP5ltU

c0VwUlsmHLk

Sorry for the delay in posting this - May's project of the month on XCore goes to f_petrini for his amazing 5x5x5 LED cube.

An overview of the project as described by f_petrini is as follows:
This is a small project I made in a few days during my Christmas vacation.
It's a 5x5x5 LED cube driven by two STP16CP05 LED drivers and controlled by an XK-1 board.

The LED cube consists of 125 LEDs organized in five layers with 25 LEDs in each layer.
Each of the 25 LEDs in each layer are controlled individually and the layers are time multiplexed.

The software consists of a LED controller and a "command set" used to easily create animations.

My initial plan was to implement PWM controlled LEDs to be able to have different intensity on each LED but I soon realized that my stripboard design could not handle the signal frequency required.

More information and a build log and can be found here.
Congratulations once again to f_petrini who will receive a XK-1 development kit for this great project!

Looking towards June, please submit your nominations to the main POTM thread here (please ensure criteria are met detailed in this post if you wish to be considered).

RemoRitzmann
Member++

Post by RemoRitzmann »

Wow Fredrik Petrini
That's great stuff! You made a nice construction. I like the blue colored LED's too but mostly I like the animation you created and the music in the videos. I wan't to build such a cube myself for a long time. Well done!