Github.xcore.com updated!

All the latest news and announcements from XCore and XMOS.
phalt
Respected Member

Github.xcore.com updated!

Post by phalt »

You asked for an easier to use open source repository, so we've updated it with helpful and easy to follow guides on how to get code from it.

Check out github.xcore.com and tell us what you think!

Interactive_Matter
XCore Addict

Post by Interactive_Matter »

You asked for feedback, so here is my opinion (hopefully not too harsh):

- Overall: Much better

- The mission: I would include some words about 'faster time to market', ' proven building blocks' something that connects the xmos claim of software defined silicone with the need for open source building blocks

- The use/contribute links are an excellent, well focused idea. Strange that the community docs include http://github.xcore.com/community_doc/repo-index.html while the repository index leads to http://github.xcore.com/repo_index/index.html - the second link looks better and wouldn't it be nice to lead users to a specific part of the more general documentation (by that the first link) so that they can focus on the solutions they want to use, but see that there is also much more to explore (the contribution) part. And having two separate pages (if they are not generated from the same source automatically) are a proven patter to get inconstancies ;)

- The 'participating in the community part' is very nicely done. I think a link in the page 'Contributing to the code base' could need some additional 'Create your own module' part with slink to the documentation of the repository template & build system documentation.

Just my 2cents
phalt
Respected Member

Post by phalt »

Thanks for the feedback!

It's much appreciated.
davelacey
Experienced Member

Post by davelacey »

Interactive_Matter wrote:You asked for feedback, so here is my opinion (hopefully not too harsh):

- The use/contribute links are an excellent, well focused idea. Strange that the community docs include http://github.xcore.com/community_doc/repo-index.html while the repository index leads to http://github.xcore.com/repo_index/index.html - the second link looks better and wouldn't it be nice to lead users to a specific part of the more general documentation (by that the first link) so that they can focus on the solutions they want to use, but see that there is also much more to explore (the contribution) part. And having two separate pages (if they are not generated from the same source automatically) are a proven patter to get inconstancies ;)
Good point. I meant to fix that so that and get rid of the old index (which was maintained by hand) and get everything to point to the new one. Will sort it out.
- The 'participating in the community part' is very nicely done. I think a link in the page 'Contributing to the code base' could need some additional 'Create your own module' part with slink to the documentation of the repository template & build system documentation.
Yes. The main aim of this update was the initial users part but I think a tutorial for creating a module similar to the main tutorial would be good. We've also got some much more comprehensive documentation on the Makefiles is almost finsihed and will be pushed v. soon.
lilltroll
XCore Expert

Post by lilltroll »

Myself I'm using EGIT in XDE, and I think that is the practical way to go at least for downloading.
But I got very confused about how to fork and commit and upload with EGIT.

The doc. describes how to fork nad push with the the traditional GIT, but I would like an explenation in how to contribute when you are using EGIT as well!
Probably not the most confused programmer anymore on the XCORE forum.
lilltroll
XCore Expert

Post by lilltroll »

I have read much of the EGIT documentation now, but I cannot manage to upload code via EGIT.

The RSA key seem to work, since I am able to download code via ssh, but I cannot make the upload work.
Some docs should be great, since I think it is more easy to use EGIT instead of GIT, at least as a user that mostly download code from github, but sometimes contributes.

(It works for me with GIT both ways, so my problem is local to the EGIT stuff)
Probably not the most confused programmer anymore on the XCORE forum.
davelacey
Experienced Member

Post by davelacey »

lilltroll wrote:I have read much of the EGIT documentation now, but I cannot manage to upload code via EGIT.

The RSA key seem to work, since I am able to download code via ssh, but I cannot make the upload work.
Some docs should be great, since I think it is more easy to use EGIT instead of GIT, at least as a user that mostly download code from github, but sometimes contributes.

(It works for me with GIT both ways, so my problem is local to the EGIT stuff)
I'll have a look at this. I don't use egit personally but it would be good to have it as a viable option.

Dave