New FreeRTOS port supposed to replace high-level libs?

Technical questions regarding the XTC tools and programming with XMOS.
ozel

New FreeRTOS port supposed to replace high-level libs?

Post by ozel »

Hello,

I'm wondering if the new official Xmos port of FreeRTOS is the way to go in the future for providing all kinds of "higher level" protocols?
It was announced here: https://www.xcore.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&p=37084 by mbruno (I can't comment in that thread).

Because if this is more than a proof of concept and will be more widely adopted by XMOS soon, it would be really nice to know ASAP.
I think it could be a great solution to overcome the problem of xcore specific library implementations for complex protocols like TCP/UDP and SDcard/FAT (lib_xtcp and sc_sdcard). Both haven't seen much of updates in the past years, especially in terms of I/O performance/bandwidth.

So please XMOS, let us know if this is the time to get familiar with FreeRTOS on xcores - also in light of the coming xcore.ai.

Cheers,
Oliver

akp
XCore Expert

Post by akp »

That would definitely make sense to use the FreeRTOS versions of those libraries, especially if you can do it in the single core implementation. I haven't looked how it's done to connect the interface functions up to interrupts, I think that's necessary to get full performance from e.g. tying the ethernet library to lwip under FreeRTOS.