Error making upgrade image for --factory-version 11

Technical questions regarding the xTIMEcomposer, xSOFTip Explorer and Programming with XMOS.
Caleb
Experienced Member

Error making upgrade image for --factory-version 11

Postby Caleb » Tue Jan 14, 2020 3:38 am

We have a product that was designed using XDE Version 11.11.1 and we have distributed numerous field upgrade images that were built with the same tools over the last 8 years.
In order to solve a long outstanding issue with the old codebase, I re-designed the software using current tools (XTC 14.3.3) and the most recent UAC2 reference codebase. This is a XS2-L2A device.

I'm attempting to build a DFU upgrade image that is compatible with the factory image on the customers' units.
xflash --upgrade 1 app.xe --factory-version 11 -o upgrade.bin
makes this error message:
Error: F03118 Tools 12 compatible routing id's and routing tables must be specified in upgrade XN

I also tried using the --factory option to specify a factory image that was built with XDW 11.11.1:
xflash --upgrade 1 app.xe --factory fi.xe -o upgrade.bin
makes this error message:
target-xn-v0-b83b8d07: Error: XN11192 Incomplete network configuration (no direction specified for link "4" on node "0")

These errors are cryptic to me. Can I get some guidance for a successful upgrade build?

I've successfully used the --factory-version switch in the past (for a different product) to build an upgrade with XTC13 tools that is compatible with XTC12-built factory image. That was for a L1 device.
It seems that there is a problem with the --factory-image switch, perhaps related to booting the multi-tile device?

thanks
CousinItt
XCore Addict

Postby CousinItt » Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:51 am

Can't help much with the -upgrade option. Perhaps someone else can.

It looks like xflash is inspecting a prior XN file configuration embedded with the older image, and you'll have to provide a new XN file to get it to work. For a single-device system it should be possible to use the default XN file provided in the XTC targets folder - perhaps with some modification depending on your design.
Caleb
Experienced Member

Postby Caleb » Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:12 pm

You may have some knowledge that can help.
In the original project that was built with v11 tools and the latest MC audio reference code base at that time, I used that default .xn file that was used to target the same XS2-L2A device that is on the original MC audio development board from XMOS.
When I built the new project (latest tools and latest MC audio reference code base), I used the default .xn file that is still included for that same development kit.

I compared the two .xn files and they are nearly identical. Of course what used to be "stdcore" is now "tile".

The only differences:
For the second core: Node Id='1', all of the Link parameters are the same between the two .xn files. except that the new .xn file has an additional 2wire link that is flagged "XSCOPE"
I tried commenting-out the XSCOPE link but that didn't make a difference.

There's one other thing - the new .xn file has an additional parameter for the boot flash: Type= "AT25F041A"

So I couldn't find what is different between the .xn files that would be relevant.
I also just tried specifying the old project's .xn file with --target-file. I still get the same error: FS03118...

CousinItt wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:51 am
Can't help much with the -upgrade option. Perhaps someone else can.

It looks like xflash is inspecting a prior XN file configuration embedded with the older image, and you'll have to provide a new XN file to get it to work. For a single-device system it should be possible to use the default XN file provided in the XTC targets folder - perhaps with some modification depending on your design.
CousinItt
XCore Addict

Postby CousinItt » Fri Jan 17, 2020 1:31 pm

Are you talking about the file xk-audio-216-mc.xn? If not, please upload it. I can't see how the error you've described could appear with that file, since it doesn't mention link 4 of node 0.

Have you tried specifying the new XN file with --target-file?

See here for more info on XN files viewtopic.php?t=4837, reference documents particularly.
Caleb
Experienced Member

Postby Caleb » Sat Jan 18, 2020 2:49 am

CousinItt wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 1:31 pm
Are you talking about the file xk-audio-216-mc.xn? If not, please upload it. I can't see how the error you've described could appear with that file, since it doesn't mention link 4 of node 0.
No, this is for a 2-tile L1 device: XS1-L2A-QF124
The .xn file for the old MC eval kit is xr-usb-audio-2.0-mc.xn (attached)
My .xn file is exactly the same except that I have fewer ports and some different port names.

CousinItt wrote:
Have you tried specifying the new XN file with --target-file?
That causes xflash to respond:
Warning: F03130 --target/--target-file options ignored when an XE file is given
Error: F03118 Tools 12 compatible routing id's and routing tables must be specif
ied in upgrade XN
CousinItt wrote:
See here for more info on XN files viewtopic.php?t=4837, reference documents particularly.
Thanks. I took a quick look at this and I'll look at this closer. I'm not working with multiple XMOS IC devices, just a single IC with 2 L1 tiles.

thanks again for you ideas.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.