What is a "register chanend"? Topic is solved

Technical questions regarding the XTC tools and programming with XMOS.
dsteinwe
XCore Addict

What is a "register chanend"?

Post by dsteinwe »

Hi,

I'm studding the code from the usb audio demo. In the source file "usb_buffer.xc", I have found the function:

Code: Select all

buffer(register chanend c_aud_out, register chanend c_aud_in, ...)
Can anybody explain me, what a "register chanend" is? So far, I have not found any documentation about it.

Thanks,
Dieter

View Solution
CousinItt
Respected Member

Post by CousinItt »

From the XC reference:
The auto and register specifiers give the declared objects automatic storage class, and may be used only within functions. Such declarations also serve as definitions and cause storage to be reserved.
Why it's necessary to do this for this particular function I'm not sure. There doesn't appear to be any other similar examples in the library code.
dsteinwe
XCore Addict

Post by dsteinwe »

I have found the document (https://www.xmos.com/developer/download ... %5D%29.pdf), that you refer. Unfortunately, I don't understand it.
dsteinwe
XCore Addict

Post by dsteinwe »

I have implemented a performance test using a streaming channel without and within "register". The performance does not differ. Therefore, I think it is a useless modifier in combination with a channel.

What does the "register" modifier do: Registers are faster than memory to access. This modifier hints the compiler to store the variable in the register and not in the memory.