The new features in 10.4 (Windows)

Technical questions regarding the XTC tools and programming with XMOS.
lilltroll
XCore Expert

The new features in 10.4 (Windows)

Post by lilltroll »

I have some questions about the new features in the new XDE.
As usual I do not really know what I am doing.

The same day the new release came out I downloaded it and just wrote some small code from scratch on my laptop and I were able to experience both spell checking and disamssembly.

Now I'm working with code that were written in XDE 9.9.x on my desktop and I cannot find the new features when using the old code.
(I did clean and rebuild all projects)

First out - Disassembly

7.5 Working with Assembly Code
The Disassembly view displays the assembly instructions that are executed on the
target platform, as shown in the example in Figure 29.To open the Disassembly
view view,choose Window · ShowView · Disassembly.

My Disasm window is just blank!
Which type of files can be shown in the Disasm window and how do you make them to pop up there instead of being showed as ASCII-code in the standard code Window.
(It worked so fine the first day on my laptop, but it doesn't pop up on my desktop)
Is it some configuration menu's to play with ??
Do old project by default disable all new stuff ??

Probably not the most confused programmer anymore on the XCORE forum.
lilltroll
XCore Expert

Post by lilltroll »

An other problem that I have is when I compile in debug mode vs. in release mode, I get a binary with the bug-icon both ways :!: :?:
What becomes extra strange when I later choose to run the code in debug or in release mode. Neither me or the computer seems to understand which file to use if I try to run from the main menu.

To not be totally confused I have to use the right mouse button over the current project in the project explorer and choose Run as or Debug as

I have marked the "strange lines" red
10,4.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mike
Member++

Post by mike »

Hi lilltroll,

Answers below. For future reference we'd prefer technical questions about XMOS technology to be posted on our support forum which you can find here: http://www.xmos.com/discuss/.
lilltroll wrote: Now I'm working with code that were written in XDE 9.9.x on my desktop and I cannot find the new features when using the old code.
(I did clean and rebuild all projects)
Which features/UI elements were not present in the 10.4 tools?
lilltroll wrote: First out - Disassembly

7.5 Working with Assembly Code
The Disassembly view displays the assembly instructions that are executed on the
target platform, as shown in the example in Figure 29.To open the Disassembly
view view,choose Window · ShowView · Disassembly.

My Disasm window is just blank!
Which type of files can be shown in the Disasm window and how do you make them to pop up there instead of being showed as ASCII-code in the standard code Window.
(It worked so fine the first day on my laptop, but it doesn't pop up on my desktop)
Is it some configuration menu's to play with ??
Do old project by default disable all new stuff ??
The documentation is slightly misleading here - the disassembly view you were looking at relates to debug sessions and will only show you the block of instructions you're currently stepping through in the debugger.

We have another disassembly view inside the Timing perspective which will show you the entire binary. To activate this, click the yellow XTA button or select Timing -> Time from the main menu when your project is selected. This will open the Timing perspective along with the new disassembly view.

Hope that helps,
Mike
mike
Member++

Post by mike »

lilltroll wrote:An other problem that I have is when I compile in debug mode vs. in release mode, I get a binary with the bug-icon both ways :!: :?:
What becomes extra strange when I later choose to run the code in debug or in release mode. Neither me or the computer seems to understand which file to use if I try to run from the main menu.

To not be totally confused I have to use the right mouse button over the current project in the project explorer and choose Run as or Debug as

I have marked the "strange lines" red
10,4.png
This is a known issue in the 10.4 release since debug info is now turned on in both debug and release configurations by default (there are no performance penalties by doing this). We plan to fix this in the next release by naming the binaries accordingly.

Mike
lilltroll
XCore Expert

Post by lilltroll »

mike wrote: Answers below. For future reference we'd prefer technical questions about XMOS technology to be posted on our support forum which you can find here: http://www.xmos.com/discuss/.
Hi

Thanks for the answers!
Due to my "not much earlier experience with Eclipse and IDE's" I sometimes ask questions that are very easy to answer by anyone - which really isn't related to XMOS tools, more to my lack of understanding which button to press - sometimes because I do not understand the English explanations as a native English reader would do.
When I find that it is a "real" question and not only my confused brain I always tries to create a XMOS ticket.
larry
Respected Member

Post by larry »

Please see http://www.xcore.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=466 for the posts regarding xmos.com Support Board