Viewing resource usage

Technical questions regarding the XTC tools and programming with XMOS.
JohnR
Experienced Member

Viewing resource usage

Post by JohnR »

Hi,

In the Tools User Guide, the section 4.2.2 Viewing Resource Usage says
Double-click on a binary file in the Project Explorer to open the Binary view, which
shows information about the amount of resources the compiled program consumes
when run on the target device.
This seems to bring up a page showing the generated xe file followed by the contents of the xn file.

I had thought it would provide a readable listing of the various sections and their sizes.

What am I doing wrong?

John Robbins

f_petrini

Post by f_petrini »

Do you have the latest version of the Development Tools installed? The Binary View is a new feature in version 10.4.

It's working on my 10.4 installation but the graph tab is a bit buggy (does not clear the background).

I find the Function Table and Data Table tabs really useful to quickly see what's on each core and how much memory each function/data segment occupies.

JohnR
Experienced Member

Post by JohnR »

Hi,
How did you get to the screens shown in your message? I am running version 10.4.

If I right click on my excutable in the C/XC Projects window, I get a menu of options none of which start the dialog screen shown in your post. What am I doing wrong?

John Robbins.
f_petrini

Post by f_petrini »

I just double click (left button) on the .xe file found under Binaries in the Project Explorer.
Right clicking and selecting Open in the pop-up menu also works.
JohnR
Experienced Member

Post by JohnR »

This is crazy - I have now dowloaded again 10.3 with exactly the same results

[quote]I just double click (left button) on the .xe file found under Binaries in the Project Explorer.
Right clicking and selecting Open in the pop-up menu also works.[quote]

I get the contents of the .xe file more or less looking the same as if the executable file was opened in a regular text editor.

Looking at your screen shots, you have a new floating window called binary. In my case clicking on the .xe file a new page in the editor window is displayed.

I must be doing something extremely dumb.

Again any help is appreciated,

John Robbins
JohnR
Experienced Member

Post by JohnR »

Hi,

The binary page is now working. I am not sure quite why - I cleared everything from the edit window, mimimised it, double-clicked on the executable and up popped the binary window!

John.
peter
XCore Addict

Post by peter »

f_petrini, just wondering what operating system you are using as I can't seem to reproduce the redraw issue you are seeing in the Binary View.
f_petrini

Post by f_petrini »

I'm running Windows 7 x64 but with the "Windows Classic" theme since I don't like the bloated Aero look. ;)
I guess the classic theme may have something to do with the issue. I'll switch back to the Aero theme and check...
peter
XCore Addict

Post by peter »

Thanks, have reproduced that our end on Windows 7 64-bit with the default settings. Will put a bug in about it.