Curios-101

XCore Project reviews, ideas, videos and proposals.
Folknology
XCore Legend

Curios-101

Post by Folknology »

Just to let everyone know I have updated my Curios 101 board (Formerly XS1-SU01 Stamp) based around the XS1-U64a. Please take a look and let me know if you spot any issues with it or want to ask any questions before I get the first few boards made.

Thanks & regards
Al

pstnotpd
XCore Addict

Post by pstnotpd »

Hi. looks great. A few questions.

1. Is this a "stackable" design like the XDIP? I.e. could the number of tiles be expanded this way.
2. Any change of a slice to hold this?
3. Will this be commercially available?

I'm looking for ways to use my slicekit for multi-core/tile experiments.
Folknology
XCore Legend

Post by Folknology »

pstnotpd wrote:Hi. looks great. A few questions.

1. Is this a "stackable" design like the XDIP? I.e. could the number of tiles be expanded this way.
2. Any change of a slice to hold this?
3. Will this be commercially available?

I'm looking for ways to use my slicekit for multi-core/tile experiments.
Hi pstnoptd glad you like it.

1. No they aren't stackable, But I do expose link B on the dip and south header conveniently as 4 pin Xmos link expansion. In truth the System Usb series are not ideal for multi tile expansion as you are paying extra for the convenience of on-board ADC and USB etc with each one you add where that's clearly not required.

2. Not currently (are you looking for a Usbslice?) but you may like these : BotSlice and Patchslice . I will have more slices coming soon.

3. Yes - Just as soon as I'm happy with its operation.

regards
Al
segher
XCore Expert

Post by segher »

Hi Al,

From your schematic on solderpad:
1) SCL on the GPIO expander doesn't go anywhere, not to any xcore pins;
or does it go to the WAKE pin (I cannot read the label there)? Huh;
2) MSEL and RST need a pullup;
3) you might want to put an AND gate on the RST because as it is, closing
the reset switch pulls the reset pin on the debug connector low, which isn't
fun if the debug adapter tries to drive it high;
4) the (10-pin) power connector doesn't actually connect to any positive
voltage.

Looks fine otherwise, looks fun :-)
Folknology
XCore Legend

Post by Folknology »

segher wrote:Hi Al,

From your schematic on solderpad:
1) SCL on the GPIO expander doesn't go anywhere, not to any xcore pins;
or does it go to the WAKE pin (I cannot read the label there)? Huh;
2) MSEL and RST need a pullup;
3) you might want to put an AND gate on the RST because as it is, closing
the reset switch pulls the reset pin on the debug connector low, which isn't
fun if the debug adapter tries to drive it high;
4) the (10-pin) power connector doesn't actually connect to any positive
voltage.

Looks fine otherwise, looks fun :-)
Thanks for taking the time to check it Segher (exactly why I like putting this up before making it!), here are some responses to your points :

1) Wake is also D43 (I'm not using it as wake) and that is connected to SCL as you guessed.
2) The NRST is a funny one, it appears to be pulled up inside the SU/U serias probably beause they have open drain reset outputs on their power sequencers inside, all of the Xmos examples do not provide external pull ups according to the datasheets (Xmos can you confirm this is the case) as do both the mode pins for MSEL. In this way the SU/U are different to the regular L series.
3) Good point I put that on there at the last minute thinking it might be useful in bootloading usb scenarios or those without jtag. Do you think I could add a series resistor to the NRST line coming in from the prog header or inline with the button itself perhaps, would that do the trick (Folknology tries to avoid having to add mini logic)?
4) The power for the servo like headers is supplied externally and one can use any of the headers for this purpose (prob those adjacent to the 1 bit ports) as I would expect this supply to be separate from the internal supply to avoid noise.

regards
Al
pstnotpd
XCore Addict

Post by pstnotpd »

Folknology wrote:...(are you looking for a Usbslice?)
Not a usbslice per se. As said I'd like to try multi-tile stuff with the slicekit. Think re configurable XMP-64.

I could obviously add core boards, but as I understand it those can only do lineair topology and the form factor isn't really convenient.

But thinking about this, a breadslice ;o) which connects a slot to a breadboard would allow this...
Folknology
XCore Legend

Post by Folknology »

pstnotpd wrote:
Folknology wrote:...(are you looking for a Usbslice?)
Not a usbslice per se. As said I'd like to try multi-tile stuff with the slicekit. Think re configurable XMP-64.

I could obviously add core boards, but as I understand it those can only do lineair topology and the form factor isn't really convenient.

But thinking about this, a breadslice ;o) which connects a slot to a breadboard would allow this...
Well I did think about maybe doing L1 64 or 48 on a slice which is entirely possible and allow you to hang them of multiple slots (star & square)?

The breadboarding is a bit of a problem, I have been trying to find a good solution for this myself. unfortunately the dimensions of the slices (max width) impose a a crippling restriction to fitting breadboards directly, there is physically not enough room. One idea I had was go the Pi Cobbler route like Adafruit have, I would thus create a slice with a header and IDC cabling perhaps?

P.S. To be honest I don't really use the Slicekit for breadboarding it wasn't really designed with that in mind, I prefer to use Xi style, its more convenient, but that doesn't mean we can't find some sort of Slicekit interim solution.

regards
Al
pstnotpd
XCore Addict

Post by pstnotpd »

Folknology wrote: One idea I had was go the Pi Cobbler route like Adafruit have, I would thus create a slice with a header and IDC cabling perhaps?
That's what I was thinking :o)

But I'll open a new topic to discuss this, because I'm digressing from the subject here. Sorry 'bout that.
segher
XCore Expert

Post by segher »

Folknology wrote:Thanks for taking the time to check it Segher
My pleasure.
2) The NRST is a funny one, it appears to be pulled up inside the SU/U serias probably beause they have open drain reset outputs on their power sequencers inside, all of the Xmos examples do not provide external pull ups according to the datasheets (Xmos can you confirm this is the case) as do both the mode pins for MSEL. In this way the SU/U are different to the regular L series.
They have an internal pullup, but is that strong enough to pull up the external
circuitry (including whatever is on your debug board!)? I wouldn't rely on that
if I were you, there are nicer things to debug ;-)
3) Good point I put that on there at the last minute thinking it might be useful in bootloading usb scenarios or those without jtag. Do you think I could add a series resistor to the NRST line coming in from the prog header or inline with the button itself perhaps, would that do the trick (Folknology tries to avoid having to add mini logic)?
A resistor is bad if the L-series erratum applies to these chips. The
datasheet doesn't say explicitly; perhaps I'm too paranoid.

Another option of course is to just never push that button if you have a debug
adapter attached that drives the line push-pull. Or you can completely ignore
the problem (many people do, and they get away with it mostly).

I can see you not wanting to add logic, but on the other hand you have a
forest of resistors and caps already anyway ;-) (And it's not like the button
itself doesn't cost space and money...)
Folknology
XCore Legend

Post by Folknology »

pstnotpd wrote:
Folknology wrote: One idea I had was go the Pi Cobbler route like Adafruit have, I would thus create a slice with a header and IDC cabling perhaps?
That's what I was thinking :o)

But I'll open a new topic to discuss this, because I'm digressing from the subject here. Sorry 'bout that.
No probs, by the way a temporary work around for doing Slicekit breadboard breakout is to solder in the test headers (or maybe just the square one initially) and then use a breakout cable and attach the other end to 0.1 inch headers inserted into the breadboard. You also have to provide power links but that's simple as there are supply pin holes on the Slicekit you can use near the power section (its a bit messy but works).

regards
Al