Greetings

First time on the site? Say hello here!
mikronauts
Member++

Greetings

Post by mikronauts »

"My name is Bill, and I have a problem - I am addicted to multi-core architectures"...

Other than consulting work, I have been developing industrial, educational and now robotics boards in the last few years, based on another multi-core processor. My XC1-A arrived a short while ago, and I thought it was time for me to register on the forums.

I've kept an eye on Xmos for a while now - and I've finally decided to bite the bullet and try it out. I remember the Transputer - it was an interesting concept even back then, and now Xmos has a lot more MIPS :-)

Bianco
XCore Expert

Post by Bianco »

Welcome to Xcore Bill.
What other multicore architecture did you use previously?
mikronauts
Member++

Post by mikronauts »

Parallax Propeller... I've designed a number of products around it, including a dual Propeller SBC with external memory, a "retro" emulation platform, some dev boards, and a robot controller - plus many I/O etc modules.

I finally decided to break down and get into XMOS as well, but I suspect it will be a couple of months before I have some XMOS products :)

I ordered more dev boards this weekend to keep my XC-1A company: two XK-1A's with XTAG-2's, and two of the SparkFun boards.
Bianco wrote:Welcome to Xcore Bill.
What other multicore architecture did you use previously?
Heater
Respected Member

Post by Heater »

Hi Bill,

It's taken you a while:) You will find a few other "Propeller Heads" have been here some time.

I'll be looking forward to seeing a super "hobbyist friendly" xcore board from Mikronauts. Let's see:

1) Video out
3) Audio out
2) Mouse, keyboard in
3) A pile of external serial FLASH/RAM
4) RS232/485 ports
5) As many GPIO available a possible.
6) Perhaps ethernet.
6) A LED.

Oh yea, some ADC/DAC...
xcorific
Member++

Post by xcorific »

Welcome! I'm new here as well. I have no experience with multicore embedded processors, just multithreaded app development on Windows. I'm looking forward to learning from the other members here and hope to get some projects started shortly. So far, like XMOS and its tools very much.
mikronauts
Member++

Post by mikronauts »

Hi Heater!

Yes, it took me a while... Browsing the forums, I've spotted you, Leon, and I think Ale; I am sure I will find other familiar handles over time.

I try not to comment about unannounced products, but let's just say I am here, and I make nice "hobbyist friendly" boards for the Propeller - so my making such boards for Xmos processors would not be surprising :) but I think I need to play with Xmos for a while before deciding on the exact feature set for boards that I make.

Nice feature list you have there... that would be a handy board :)
Heater wrote:Hi Bill,

It's taken you a while:) You will find a few other "Propeller Heads" have been here some time.

I'll be looking forward to seeing a super "hobbyist friendly" xcore board from Mikronauts. Let's see:

1) Video out
3) Audio out
2) Mouse, keyboard in
3) A pile of external serial FLASH/RAM
4) RS232/485 ports
5) As many GPIO available a possible.
6) Perhaps ethernet.
6) A LED.

Oh yea, some ADC/DAC...
mikronauts
Member++

Post by mikronauts »

Thanks xcorific!

I have not played with the Xmos tools much yet, I've had my nose buried in .pdf files :)

It really seems like a very interesting architecture, quite well thought out. I wish ports were a bit different, but I like the buffering - especially how it can be used for serialization / de-serialization.

I ordered more dev boards, I like to learn new architectures by playing with them.
xcorific wrote:Welcome! I'm new here as well. I have no experience with multicore embedded processors, just multithreaded app development on Windows. I'm looking forward to learning from the other members here and hope to get some projects started shortly. So far, like XMOS and its tools very much.
TonyD
XCore Addict

Post by TonyD »

mikronauts wrote:"My name is Bill, and I have a problem - I am addicted to multi-core architectures"...
Hi Bill, I'm sorry to say but your addiction will only grow worse :)

I remember your great Propeller designs across at the Parallax forums, Morpheus was an awesome bit of design so we'll be expecting some great things from you :)

Welcome to xcores.
mikronauts
Member++

Post by mikronauts »

Hi Tony!

Thank you! I will admit I am planning a number of Xmos based designs, but I have to get my feet wet first :-)

Right now I am still digesting the documentation, and setting up for Xmos development.

I still have to document the new revision of Morpheus - and many other boards - but I hope to add some Xmos boards before Xmas. As you saw with Morpheus, I like to push the envelope :-)

I suspect you will like what I am planning to do...
TonyD wrote:
mikronauts wrote:"My name is Bill, and I have a problem - I am addicted to multi-core architectures"...
Hi Bill, I'm sorry to say but your addiction will only grow worse :)

I remember your great Propeller designs across at the Parallax forums, Morpheus was an awesome bit of design so we'll be expecting some great things from you :)

Welcome to xcores.
ale500
Respected Member

Post by ale500 »

Hei Bill,

nice to have you here ! (yes I'm Ale from the other forums). It would be great if you can make a nice XS1 powered board...

Welcome here !

Ale