What's your daily job?

First time on the site? Say hello here!
octal
XCore Addict

What's your daily job?

Post by octal »

Hello,
this is a question I posted on twitter sometimes ago.

To enlarge the spectrum of this introduction section, I wanted to ask you two questions:

01- What's your daily job?
10- Are you living from your MCU (including XMOS) developments? (any success story ;) )

Regards

Heater
Respected Member

Post by Heater »

1) Software engineer.
2) No.

Over the years I've been involved in all kinds of embedded, real-time control systems in the commercial and military fields. Occasional forays into such things as CAD software.

Sadly I have yet to find an application in my working life that would warrant an XMOS device.
bsmithyman
Experienced Member

Post by bsmithyman »

1) PhD student (in geophysics).
2) Nope.

However, I keep thinking about building an XMOS-based seismograph, which is at least indirectly related to my research. Hasn't happened yet though :)
vanjast
Member++

Post by vanjast »

1) Software Dev/Hardware Dev/Electronics Tech/Domestic Exec/Fighter Pilot.. ;)
2)Maybe one day..
TonyD
XCore Addict

Post by TonyD »

1) Embedded Systems Engineer (Software & Hardware)
2) Maybe
octal
XCore Addict

Post by octal »

I forgot myself :mrgreen:

1- PHP/Delphi/C++ IT developper (full job)
2- not full job right now. specific devs and libs for some companies.
Folknology
XCore Legend

Post by Folknology »

1) I don't have a job, but I run a technology biz in software and hardawre
2) No Xmos income yet, just investment so far, but I do have intentions to rectify that at some point..

regards
Al
Last edited by Folknology on Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
boeserbaer

Post by boeserbaer »

1. Day Job. R&D Engineer, nuclear Instrumentation and control.
2. Yes as a small part of my job, I use MCUs (XMOS) for communications and control/read-back. Usually I use full blown uControllers (PPC/ARM) running LINUX, for intelligence/communications, and FPGA's for interfacing. Cost is usually not at issue (small build quantities large development times), but over the past year I have been doing development for our commercial (X-Ray) side of the company. The XMOS has been a good fit there. The only difficulties I have had are that the channel communications between threads can lock my application sometimes, such as when initializing the different threads, I pass values from one thread to another before the event loop. Sometimes this works. Sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes It seems to be OK to put the send side in the initialization, and make sure the receive side is in the event loop. I also wish for some improvements in the clock/buffer area for serializing and deserializing.

Regards Mike
promptcritical

Post by promptcritical »

My job.
Surviving. :twisted:

It's funny. I've saved millions by fixing designs, but I've always been content to lurk in the shadows and maintain a low profile.
promptcritical

Post by promptcritical »

boeserbaer wrote:1. Day Job. R&D Engineer, nuclear Instrumentation and control.
2. Yes as a small part of my job, I use MCUs (XMOS) for communications and control/read-back. Usually I use full blown uControllers (PPC/ARM) running LINUX, for intelligence/communications, and FPGA's for interfacing. Cost is usually not at issue (small build quantities large development times), but over the past year I have been doing development for our commercial (X-Ray) side of the company. The XMOS has been a good fit there. The only difficulties I have had are that the channel communications between threads can lock my application sometimes, such as when initializing the different threads, I pass values from one thread to another before the event loop. Sometimes this works. Sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes It seems to be OK to put the send side in the initialization, and make sure the receive side is in the event loop. I also wish for some improvements in the clock/buffer area for serializing and deserializing.

Regards Mike

Interesting. I'm a former nuclear power operator, HW/SW engineer. And I'm also named Mike.....