Newcastle Maker Faire 2010

Off topic discussions that do not fit into any of the above can go here. Please keep it clean and respectful.
leon_heller
XCore Expert

Newcastle Maker Faire 2010

Post by leon_heller »

I'm up in Newcastle at the Maker Faire:

http://www.makerfaire.com/newcastle/2010/

TonyD and I were with some Parallax Propeller stalwarts. A couple of them had each bought XC-1s, but preferred the Propeller. I wore my XMOS T shirt, of course.

Here are some photos:

http://www.leonheller.com/Maker%20Faire%202010/

I'll create a proper web page when I get back home, with captions.

TonyD
XCore Addict

Post by TonyD »

Maker Faire @ Newcastle was a great event with a well balanced emphasis on family fun style activities. My kids totally enjoyed the weekend, they loved the opportunity to build something for themselves.

The time seam to pass so quickly I wish it had lasted longer and I had more time to talk "shop". But it was great to meet Leon, the guys from the Parallax forums and many other exhibitors who I managed to chat with.

Hopefully it will be back bigger and better next year and we can all met up again, perhaps Xmos may come and show off some boards and projects.
leon_heller
XCore Expert

Post by leon_heller »

otitov
XCore Addict

Post by otitov »

thanks for posting photos! quite interesting!
leon_heller
XCore Expert

Post by leon_heller »

You can see me resplendent in my XMOS T-shirt in the second lot. Two or three people saw it and asked me if XMOS was there. I met someone who, like me, had used the transputer.

Also, note the XC-1 with a Parallax Propeller sticker on the XMOS chip. One of the Propeller heads did that (to his own XC-1 board).
otitov
XCore Addict

Post by otitov »

does the incognito transputer useR appears on your photos?

sparkling Tesla coils! cool!

how impressive was surround video and ambisonics?

that laser thing - what it all about?

UPDATE: missing R is placed where it should be
Last edited by otitov on Tue Mar 16, 2010 12:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
leon_heller
XCore Expert

Post by leon_heller »

otitov wrote:does the incognito transputer use appears on your photos?

sparkling Tesla coils! cool!

how impressive was surround video and ambisonics?

that laser thing - what it all about?
The former transputer user had a stand with some old 8-bit UK-101 computers from about 30 years ago. There are a couple of photos.

The Tesla coils were acting as (very poor quality) loudspeakers with the arcs modulated by inputs from a keyboard (the big left and right coils) with the smaller central coil connected to a guitar. Unfortunately, on the first day they didn't have anyone who could play a guitar, and on the second day the keyboard player didn't turn up, so they never had all three going at once. The guitar player couldn't play properly, anyway.

The surround video and ambisonics wasn't all that impressive, it needs a lot more work. One looks at the conventional display, and one's peripheral vision picks up the image projected on the walls which, roughly, matches up with the central image.

The laser thing had a couple of Blu-ray lasers and a gas laser, and was supposed to write stuff on a large screen. It wasn't working properly.

A lot of the stuff there was very amateuruish. The stands were free, BTW. I might see if I can get one next year.
Last edited by leon_heller on Tue Mar 16, 2010 12:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
otitov
XCore Addict

Post by otitov »

sorry, my mistake, it should be reading as: does the incognito transputer useR appears on your photos?

thanks for comments, would be nice to read them all then you have all photos commented!
leon_heller
XCore Expert

Post by leon_heller »

I guessed that was what you meant and edited my last post. He's not actually in the pictures.
otitov
XCore Addict

Post by otitov »

oh, ok. I thought he was the dream machine inventor.