KESO: A Java VM an [XMOS] MCU developer could love?

Off topic discussions that do not fit into any of the above can go here. Please keep it clean and respectful.
ahenshaw
Experienced Member

KESO: A Java VM an [XMOS] MCU developer could love?

Post by ahenshaw »

http://eetimes.com/electronics-blogs/co ... ve--Maybe-

Open source Java VM designed for 8-bit, 16-bit, and 32-bit microcontrollers. From the article:
Unlike traditional JVMs, KESO is designed to operate in tandem with an RTOS, leaving to the RTOS many functions traditional JVMs might take on. For example, it does not implement thread scheduling and thread synchronization, but uses an existing RTOS to do these tasks.
KESO incorporates a minimalist and flexible form of garbage collection and assumes operation in a purely static memory environment, typical of many auto applications...
Various implementations of KESO on MCUs run the gamut from high end 32-bit MCUs such as the ARM Cortex-M and Infineon’s Tricore to Atmel’s 8-bit AVR MCUs and equivalent Microchip PICs. In the 8-bit domain, a typical memory configuration is about 8 kilobytes of flash and about 500 to 600 bytes or so of internal SRAM.
Sounds tailor-made for an XMOS implementation!

Heater
Respected Member

Post by Heater »

Interesting. Not that I ever understood why anyone would want to cripple an MCU with such a language system.

But I have issues with this:

"KESO is a Multi-JVM for embedded devices and networks of micro controllers. KESO builds on a standard OSEK/VDX or AUTOSAR OS operating system"

OSEK = Open Systems and the Corresponding Interfaces for Automotive Electronics

AUTOSAR = AUTomotive Open System ARchitecture

However neither of these are "open" in my normal understanding, they are in fact pretty closed.

For OSEK we need to sign up to this uninteligable agreement:

http://portal.osek-vdx.org/images/pdf/freelicense.pdf

And from the AUTOSAR web site:

"The specifications as released by the AUTOSAR development partnership are intended for the purpose of information only. The use of material contained in the specifications requires membership within the AUTOSAR development partnership or an agreement with the AUTOSAR development partnership."

However KESO itself is distributed under the terms of the GNU Lesser General Public License, so I guess if we can provide whatever OS services it requires it's possible to get it going.